Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Taking over the wife's Tj

41K views 352 replies 66 participants last post by  alboy79 
#1 · (Edited)
So here it is 5 years after the wife and I bought a 01 Tj for her to dd. Got it with 18,000 miles on and after 5 years it now has 65,000 on it. On its second engine, 2 time the trans has been out and now is getting rebuilt. 3rd torque converter. I figure if im working on it all the time i might as well be wheeling it.
Some specs:
4 Cylinder
3 speed auto
hp d60 front with 5.13 gears, It is welded now but will have a lock-rite in it when it's all done.
35 spline d60 Hd rear with 5.13s. Welded and disk brakes.
37in iroks on 16 Ford Alcoa wheels.
2in body lift
3in coils
Front will be 3 link with Full traction lowers, Shortened to work with a 2in stretch. and upper will be 3/4 heims with 1-1/2, 1/4in wall dom.

Rear is going to be 4 link with 2" 1/4 wall dom with JJ at both ends on the lowers and upper will be 1-1/2, 1/4 wall dom with 3/4 heims.

Already got a sye and just waiting for the tranny to get back from the rebuilder so i can put it in and install the t-case. Hope to have done in the next few months.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

See less See more
#62 ·

Uppers ^

Rear axle. Almost done. Got to add a little bit more bracing and some longer bump stops. Ended up with about 9" of seperation at the axle end and a little over 5 on the frame end. Cycled the suspension with no coils in it and pinion never moves more than about 2*. Uppers will hit the bottom of the body, so that is why i need to add the bump stops. Tomorrow it should be sitting on its own. In the rear i using V8 ZJ stock front springs and it seems to sit pretty level.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#66 ·

Quickly snapped these today. I have a few things to change, rear bump stops need some attention. Need to add rear shocks and break lines to the front and rear. Once that is all done i need to start putting the trans back in and then install the sye, driveshafts and bleed the brakes. Im sure there is lots more but Hey.

#75 ·
Well i would have had the front complete today......................But i could not get the pitman arm off the shaft. I need to drill it out for my heim steering joint. So monday im borrowing a puller after work and going to hopefully pull it off and drill it out. Brake lines are on and all hooked up.

#78 ·
checked it out yesterday..looks real good. should work great...what you going to feed those squirrels under the hood to make them run faster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.