Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

catch 22 sucks

3K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  cglenn 
#1 ·
how are you supposed to get a job if you don't have enough experience but how are you supposed to get experience if you can't get the damn job. wtf...can't people just take a goddamn chance once in awhile. i'm pissed because i've called 10 different autoshops looking for a job and the same BS everytime. need 1yr or more continuous shop experience. which i don't have...

#4 ·
When the market is like it is, they can be choosy. They know there's 100 other guys that will call and half of them will work for next to nothing, because it's all they can get.

I would say look at dealerships, since they'll hire anyone who passes a drug test, but that might not even be the case any more.

The last 3 jobs I got though, they "weren't hiring at the time" but I left a resume anyways. Interviews led to offers (which led to layoffs, but that's beside the point). Call some more places that don't have signs up or ads on Craigslist or wherever you're looking, and see what they say. Just be prepared to have the door slammed in your face. The people around here aren't kidding when they say there's no jobs.

#7 ·
I know a few people that have been going round about for years, cousin of mine went to school, got a degree, and could not find a job, everyone said he didn't have enough experience, so he made the mistake of going back to school and getting another degree, and then everyone told him he was over qualified. Its all double speak and underhanded, I'm running into a similar problem right now. Not enough experience in my field and there are a lot more experienced guys out there.

#11 ·
I'm usaully on the other end of this so take it for what its worth.

Overqualified = you've held a higher paying job or should and will not stay at the position your applying for when a better opportunity arises.

As for 1 year exp and such, I agree with lie, but don't be a complete idiot and put down you have 3 years in aeronautical engineering when you can't pass high scool algebra.

#12 ·
That's the EXACT same thing I'm going through. It is a major catch 22. Pretty much you have to jump through fire hoops to even get noticed, and if you don't have experience you're screwed. Can't get a job without experience like you said, can't get experience without a job.
My theory is that employers notice the economy sucks and everyone wants a job, so they want to hire the best employee they can get for the cheapest price. I've applied for jobs I know I'm qualified for, only for them to tell me I don't have enough experience. In the right economy I shouldn't have that problem.
People on the higher end of the ladder get laid off, and go for the entry-level jobs, making entry level jobs not so entry-level anymore IMO.
Another thing that sucks at least down here is that a lot of jobs want you to be a good Spanish speaker. I obviously don't know a lick of Spanish so I get passed up a lot. As I have told my mom, I'd like to move back to the United States.

#14 ·
Another thing that really grinds my gears is when a company says they are hiring, but doesn't actually want to hire anybody. I went to a Carquest once that had a now hiring sign on the front door. Walked in, put my game face on and asked for a job. What do you know, they said they aren't hiring at this location. Why not put the sign on only the places that are hiring?
Also walking into places and leaving my resume only to be told, "Oh I changed my mind, I don't need to hire anyone," or along those lines.
I could go on and on with this but meh.

#16 ·
were you wearing a shirt?

That's odd i was always nice to people when they would hand in applications at job's i've had, even if you knew the person didn't have a chance at the job (poorly dressed, smelly, dirty, push on the door for 5 mins before they realized it was a pull, etc)

Those dudes must just suck(or you do :teehee: ), thats one of the reason why i don't like online applications they can't actually see you.

#30 ·
you're gona have to take a shit job somewhere just to get more experience on your resume' Get in as a shop bitch.. Do the shit work then proove yourself when the chance comes.. Then go ask for a promotion get laughed at then punch said boss in face.. Get charged with assult.. and let the state take care of your bills for a while

#33 ·

to have... and to have not.

Up in the morning and out to school
Mother says there be no work next year
Quantifications once the Golden Rule are now just pieces of paper
Just because you're better than me doesn't mean I'm lazy.
Just because you're going forwards doesn't mean I'm going backwards.
Well if you look the part well then you'll get the job in last year's trousers and your oldschool shoes
The truth is son it's a buyer's market they can afford to pick and choose
Just because you're better than me doesn't mean I'm lazy
Just because I dress like this doesn't mean I'm a Communist.
Well the factory's are closing and the army's full
I don't know what I'm going to do
But I've come to see in the land of the free
There's only room for a chosen few
Just because you're going forwards doesn't mean I'm going backwards
Well at 21 you're atop of the scrap heap
At 16 you were top of your class
Well I dropped outta high school in Campbell, CA
Got a guitar and I never looked back
Just because I dress like this doesn't mean I'm a Communist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.