Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

05 6 liter diesel

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Elvis13 
#1 ·
is this engine any good or should i stay away. it has 143000 miles, looking to buy but have heard bad things. let me hear your opinions.

#2 ·
theres good and bad like any diesel -ford, chevy or dodge
stock injectors suck
stock egr cooler and oil cooler suck
and head studs and gaskets are a must if you plan to play with it
also the variable vain turbos are hit and miss.
i have worked on a bunch of them and they suck to work on there packed pretty good

#4 ·
i hate to say it because im a ford guy but id look for a 7.3 or buy a cummins. really i think it would help also what are your goals? upgrades? power goal
a lot of people ive talked with say that there's is down more that its up and running. maintenance is a huge part with these. see if you can get the trucks records.there's a lot of knowledgeable people here, bones is one of them im sure he will jump in sometime.
Pretty much covered it. Agreed.:thumb:

#3 · (Edited)
i hate to say it because im a ford guy but id look for a 7.3 or buy a cummins. really i think it would help also what are your goals? upgrades? power goal
a lot of people ive talked with say that there's is down more that its up and running. maintenance is a huge part with these. see if you can get the trucks records.there's a lot of knowledgeable people here, bones is one of them im sure he will jump in sometime.

#5 ·
6.0's are pure garbage, get something with a 7.3. We put my friends 2000 F-350 7.3 diesel through hell and back and towed everything with it for a long ass time. Its got 370k miles and still runs / drives great with no major repairs except for a new clutch.

#10 ·
I love my 6.0L I have 135k miles on it and it runs awesome. I have owned 3 6.0Ls and all have been awesome if you know what to look for and what to replace ASAP. I wouldnt take a perfect running 7.3L over a 6.0L. If you cant wrench or are afraid to do about $400 in mods to bulletproof a 6.0L then you should buy a 7.3L/Duramax or cummins.

-River City Diesel EGR delete $150
-Engine coolant/Oil Temp no more then 15F-20F delta or replace Oil cooler $250
-FICM $300 and the aftermarket ones rock. I have 135k on my FICM and I still have 48volts going through it.

MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTERS/FUEL FILTERS....dont buy anything but them.

Then if you want to have a big grin on your face then get some SCT custom tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.