Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My graduating class never seems to fail

3K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Soy_bomb 
#1 ·
#5 ·
That's sad, but just out of curiousity, it said "Because she had been given anesthesia, blood-alcohol-content tests were canceled, prosecutors said", so if she had a good lawyer couldn't she get out of the drunk driving?

#12 ·
Yeah I heard about this last year just sad all around :(
Seems like there have been quite a few MSU students dieing recently :(

#18 ·
Haha, oh I remember her. I heard all kinds of crap about her in HS. :naughty:

Funny thing Fraser, now that I work in Mason, a guy yesterday was telling me about this and I had no clue it was Melissa. I guess next time I see him, I'm going to have to bring it back up.

But anyways, yes your graduating class does a lot of failing. :teehee:

#19 ·
She was a dirty girl?

#21 ·
I'd like to know if she was above the legal limit. Chances are yes, but, without concrete proof I am betting she is going to get closer to that 30 months. I wonder how it would of went if she plead innocent to the drunken driving. If they have zero blood tests then there is no way they can convict her. Smelling like alcohol to a cop is only probable cause to probe further, not a fact of guilt. For all they know she got spilt on and was woozy from the collision. Ya know?

She's gettin what she deserves, a little time in the pen to think about her actions, but I dont see her staying in too long. Prolly out in under 30 for good behavior and if she gets time served included.

Whether she was a .02 or a .40 doesn't matter anymore because the proof isn't there. I'm suprised a dui charge stuck.

#22 ·
She was underage at the time.

#26 ·
drunk driving has taken a few people out of my life as well. young people in general are dumb. they get plastered or high on something because it's supposedly sooo fun. then they think there invincible enough to drive, then because you can't control yourself you end up crashing. i've never been a party person, nor one to get drunk. and the times i have drank, i've never driven. and to be honest with you putting someone in jail, or taking there license away is only about 50% effective in preventing a repeat offense.

#27 · (Edited)
Pretty sad story. No one comes out ahead in that one. regardless if she was proved to be under the influence its still wreak less driving. You cant go down a one way at 1 am and expect to tell everyone you weren't drunk. She killed someone so now she has to suffer the consequences. I don't think drunk driving has enough consequences. I know a girl in my class that was driving drunk and in the wrong lane. both went to the opposite ditch and totaled their cars. All she got was a couple MADD classes and a court date were they suspended her license for 6 months. Sad..

#28 ·
Pretty sad story. No one comes out ahead in that one.
Agreed

Xj Wheeler said:
She killed someone so now she has to suffer the consequences.
I dont think she is suffering. She is being punished. The family of the dead friend is who is really suffering.

Xj Wheeler said:
I don't think drunk driving has enough consequences.
Agreed.

#29 ·
She must have a major problem with alcohol. She kills a friend in August, drinking and driving and then this:
"Rumrill has been held at the Ingham County Jail since the Nov. 24 plea hearing. She had been free on bond but failed a court-ordered breathalyzer test."
Thank God she didn't kill someone else. Definitely sad, especially for the victim's families.

#33 ·
That's a Sad Story. I think she should go to jail for a while and hopefully she'll learn her lesson. It's sad to hear about all the Drunk driving related accidents around MSU. I know MSU isn't exclusive, but being that I live very close, I hear about them all the time.

I was reading the comments on the artical and I found this comment to be completely outragous. Some guy from LA wrote this

I've been following this story from LA because I write screenplays about these types of events. This is so typical, here is an over conservative judge throwing the book at a great kid that made a mistake. Most judges would have done the right thing and had Melissa serve community service. It's very sad to see kid spend several years is prison because a judge is trying to appease the extreme right. Judge Colette...you should be ashamed. Thanks to the internet the rest of the country can see what nut jobs like you are doing. All I can say is vote this guy out in 2014. Sorry Melissa, be strong.
Just completely mind blowing that someone would think that way. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near California.

#34 ·
I've been following this story from LA because I write screenplays about these types of events. This is so typical, here is an over conservative judge throwing the book at a great kid that made a mistake. Most judges would have done the right thing and had Melissa serve community service. It's very sad to see kid spend several years is prison because a judge is trying to appease the extreme right. Judge Colette...you should be ashamed. Thanks to the internet the rest of the country can see what nut jobs like you are doing. All I can say is vote this guy out in 2014. Sorry Melissa, be strong.
I can't wait for that earthquake that splits California from the U.S. I can't believe how someone can apologize to a person that killed someone because of their stupid mistake. Just because it was an accident doesn't justify the fact that somebody's son or daughter is dead because of her irresponsibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.