Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1992 chevy 4x4 350 TBI tune up Questions?

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  XLJetsFan52 
#1 ·
looking to see what would be the best stuff for a tune up for my 1992 chevy truck while getting the best MPG and best performance. Like plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil and air filter and anything else misc you can think of let me know.....

Thanks

#5 ·
given its age a couple of extra steps will go along way.
1. clean the TBI before you change your plugs. use a can of spray carb clean and a tooth brush to scrub the bottoms of the throttle plates and Idle air control port. wash out and run before pulling the old plugs.

2. check your TBI for base gasket leaks. they tend to suck the gasket on the right rear corner. easy to change now while your in there.

3. EGR if you have to remove the valve and clean the carbon around the valves seat. make sure when you pull on the valve with your finger running the it makes the engine bog a bit and when you let go it clears up.

4. valve adjustment, if you never have it probalblly needs it.

#7 ·
I just did my 1988 suburban 350tbi. I used ac delco plugs, bosch wires and stock cap and rotor. Bought all parts at autozone. I also changed my fuel filter and ran some gumout regane. My truck had a hard time getting up to 55mph and the fuel filter was the first thing I changed (Made a Huge difference) if you are experiencing a loss of power (Especially under load) like going up a hill change that first! Total cost for everything was about $125 and it runs like a raped ape now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.