Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Livingston county the heroin capital of MI?

11K views 68 replies 47 participants last post by  Christmas Cookie 
#1 ·
Long story short. My brother lives in Genoa twp in a nicer sub off grand river and latson. My 9 year old niece comes home from a friend house crying. My brother asks what wrong. She said her friends were mean to her because she didn't do what they were doing. My brother asks what was it and she said they were using insulin like grandma. So my brother goes to see what it is they are doing. The kids were shooting up heroin (ages 9-11)

Being a parent my brother takes them to their parents house and on the way calls the police. Once the police show up they do their thing and my brother ask how this could happen and the officer said that Livingston county has the worst heroin problem in the state. Needless to say my niece will no longer be friends with those children any longer. Anyone else ever hear of kids this young doing dope? I feel so bad for the parents and kids involved and so relived that my niece didn't take part.

#38 ·
#40 ·
It's not THAT shocking.

Let's see:

Higher than average household incomes (i.e. access to cash or valuables)
Higher rate of absentee parents as a result of long workdays driven by maintaining higher than average incomes (especially in bad economy) and long commutes
Larger numbers of kids with same circumstances (above)
Parents who rationalize that higher real estate values and distance from lower income areas counteract moronic teenage (and pre-teen) behaviors
Teens (pre-teens) getting socialization from media rather than parents, grand-parents, etc...
Sullen teenagers (and pre-teens) who don't feel they're getting the requisite level of parental attention from often-absent working parents (bolstered by often-unrealistic expectations driven by media)
Reluctance on part of parents to require kids to perform chores, get jobs, etc... to assist with socialization/build values resulting in a lot of "empty time"
Etc...

It's not rocket science - and not unique to MI.

#46 ·
Seen my brother today. Kids are now being home schooled for the rest of the year( in home tutor/teacher). He has put the house up for sale and is looking to move. He's looking in New Boston area and also in the Willis area. If anyone has any info on the Willis area please let me know. I live in New boston but have no kids so I don't know what the kids do around here.

#53 ·
Lansing is horrible with herion addicts. I just think you hear more about it when it comes out of unexpected communities. I actually have a brother who has been clean from that garbage for 3 years now. He was shown by a 40 year old woman how to shoot up when he was only 13. I know several people that have died from herion OD in Lansing just in the past 5 years. I also have friends from highschool that are still fighting that addiction. I always am afraid I am going to get "the call". It is the devil's drug and will take your soul. It is very sad what this drug will do to someone and make that person do to acheive the high. It rips apart families and relationships. It is just as hard on freinds and family as it is on the "sick". I believe the dealers of this drug are the lowest scum on earth.

#68 ·
No mater were you go your going to have some issues and MOST places and people don't want to admit that were they live has that kind of stuff happening.

Hell you go up North to my Folk place and there are a bunch of Meth heads. Pot heads and Drunks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.