Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Moving to St Louis

3K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  fittergirl 
#1 ·
Well I have an interview in St Louis in a few hours. If all goes well we are hoping to be out there by early May. I looked into PODS for storage/moving our stuff. They dont seem to bad price wise but we have a few heavy pieces that we will need movers to unload.

I'm sure it will be said so yes I used google. I am looking for any other moving companies that you might have personal experience with and would recommend using.

#5 ·
Even if they would not pay for the move, they might have a firm that they could still recommend (and maybe they would have a discounted rate that you could use through the new employer - it's always worth a try).

When my in-laws moved houses from one side of Florida to the other a few years ago, they used North American Van Lines and when a friend moved from Detroit to Seattle in 2009, she also used North American. I cannot comment on the prices but they all seemed happy with them.

FWIW, I've decided if I ever move again I'm hiring a professional even if I am only moving a few blocks. After seeing how quickly they can pack everything up, it's just not worth my time or the hassle any more.

#25 ·
Good luck!! We will be in St Louis in the summer. Going to do six flags and a cards ball game.
Best of luck bud!!
Good luck!!
Thanks guys.

Thought you were moving to California?

Going away meet and greet?
That was always Casey's hope. I prefer to stay American and not raise my kids in that fucked up state.

Depending on how fast we depart we might just fly back and do something for a going away.

good luck with the interview!

personally, i will never move all my wifes crap(she is a hoarder), and mine could all fit in the back of my lj.

donate all that shit to charity (ie. leave it on your lawn when you move).
buy new junk as the funds allow.
Thanks. It went pretty good. Now just waiting on my background check. I'm a little curious what the FBI will dig up. :confused:

Makes sure you get a place in the nice part of St. Louis.

As in anything in the area that doesn't say "St Louis"
Thats the plan. :thumb::thumb:

Gun Free Zones, duh.
:sonicjay::sonicjay:

No one has been killed in the Budwiser factory. Live there....
I could possibly do that.:woot::beerbang:

#18 · (Edited)
We lived in St. Louis for 3 years. It is GREAT. I love the sunshine.

Try to buy or rent a place in West County (West St. Louis Country). Don't go to St. Charles County, definitely stay away from North County. We lived in Wildwood and loved it. Wildwood, Chesterfield, Town and Country, Creve Coeur, Ladue, Ellisville, Pond (next to Wildwood where Albert Pujols lived)...All these are great places to live. If you are on a tighter budget you might look at Eureka. We lived in Wildwood but were Eureka schools and they were a bit more rural but still good people.

While there, please visit:

The Hill (the italian district), and particularly Adriana's on the Hill for lunch. Best sandwiches anywhere on the planet

Grant's Farm: Where the house and train the Budweiser Cleidsdales: Free beer

The Budweiser factory tour: Free beer

The Arch (obviously)

The Botanical Garden (great place to go with the wife and/or family in the spring)

The Butterfly house in Chesterfield

Tropical Mouse flavored ice stand in Kirkwood (also the home of the headquarters of Bread Co. (Panera in the rest of the country)

The Magic House in Kirkwood (if you have kids)

The St. Louis Zoo (Free and very good)

Dogtown (Irish district) for the St. Pattys day parade!

And if you live in Wildwood you are only 6 miles from the 6-flags which means you can get a summer pass for $50 each for your kids and have a great waterpark and rides for them to stay entertained all summer.

#31 ·
We lived in St. Louis for 3 years. It is GREAT. I love the sunshine.

Good to hear

Try to buy or rent a place in West County (West St. Louis Country). Don't go to St. Charles County, definitely stay away from North County. We lived in Wildwood and loved it. Wildwood, Chesterfield, Town and Country, Creve Coeur, Ladue, Ellisville, Pond (next to Wildwood where Albert Pujols lived)...All these are great places to live. If you are on a tighter budget you might look at Eureka. We lived in Wildwood but were Eureka schools and they were a bit more rural but still good people.

We were told that the St Charles area was a nice area. Why stay away from there?

While there, please visit:

The Hill (the italian district), and particularly Adriana's on the Hill for lunch. Best sandwiches anywhere on the planet

Italian. sounds great.

Grant's Farm: Where the house and train the Budweiser Cleidsdales: Free beer

The Budweiser factory tour: Free beer

Sounds good :beerbang::woot:

The Arch (obviously)

We did that a few years back. It was fun. We will probably take the kids back there.
The Botanical Garden (great place to go with the wife and/or family in the
spring)

The Butterfly house in Chesterfield

The wife will like that

Tropical Mouse flavored ice stand in Kirkwood (also the home of the headquarters of Bread Co. (Panera in the rest of the country)

The Magic House in Kirkwood (if you have kids)

The St. Louis Zoo (Free and very good)

We will have to look into that. Thanks.

Dogtown (Irish district) for the St. Pattys day parade!

And if you live in Wildwood you are only 6 miles from the 6-flags which means you can get a summer pass for $50 each for your kids and have a great waterpark and rides for them to stay entertained all summer.
6 flags will be great for the kids. :thumb:

Thanks for the input :rock::thumb:

#37 ·
North stl is just as bad as east stl. The zoo is cool, and if you park on the street it is free. Get there early and plan on leaving early afternoon. That's when all the people who couldn't afford to pay to get there. I also got to watch a drug deal with my wife and kids down at the landing.

There is also a cool biker bar just north of the Edwards Jones dome. Just into the area where you feel unsafe. Great burgers. The upstairs is caving in and there is indoor parking for the bikes.

Shazam Bitches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.