Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

anybody using a 460 in a tow vehicle?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  disturbedsledneck 
#1 ·
Looking for some opinions from anyone who still owns or did own an older big block F series before I make a jump.

I have a 94 f150 as my DD and tow vehicle. Ton of work done to it over last two years including pulling the tired 5.0 and swapping in a fresh 351.

I want a bigger trailer this year and also want to upgrade my truck situation. I like old Ford junk so Im thinkin about pickin up a 91 or older f250/f350 and rebuilding it from ground up. I want a 460/c6 combo.I dont trust these plug spitting Mod motors and dont know anything about diesels.

Just curious how good a older F series with a big block is hauling at least 7-8k lbs? Is it as good as a newer SD? Is mileage complete shit? Would it fall in between a newer 5.4 and Powerstroke as far as pulling power?

#2 ·
Had both. I prefer 5.4L over 460.

I never have issues with spark plugs on my 3 5.4L , 1 4.6L, and 1 6.8L.

Reason I pick 5.4L is reliable, quiet, Great power, and better gas.

460 it reliable but life expectancy for them only good for up 150K then need rebuilt. Gas mileage is terrible. Doesn't like rev high.

Had 2 F250 superdutys 2wd with 5.4L they average in city 16 mpg and tow like 7000 pound 13-14 mpg. Still have power to able pull if you compare to 5.8L. 5.8L just run out of steam.

#5 · (Edited)
I had a 5.8 ford c-6 4.10 gears. my buddy had the same truck with a 460, got exactly the same milage. With a 3spd we would get 6-8 in town, and 4-6 mpg on the freeway (empty or loaded, didn't matter).

My truck had a rev limited speed of around 76mph.

For myself, I have been seriously considering starting to look for a southern/western 94-98 F-350 standard cab 4x4 with 460/c6/4.10 in imaculate condition. This action would probably result in threats of divorce from my wife!

#8 ·
Dang never thought I would hear anybody pick a 5.4 over a 7.5

My oldman has a 02 f150 supercrew fx4 witha 5.4 and I have used it a couple times and wasnt impressed. It has also spit 3 plugs between 100k and 160k.

#9 ·
Someone who done spark plugs did bad jobs. If that help you I don't ever use torque wrench on that either. Just tight spark plugs then after that no issues.

That 02 F150 probability have 3.55 in axle. My Superduty had 3.73.

5.4L are Different animal from old engine OHV. U need REV up 3-5K rpm to notice difference.

#11 ·
I owned a 95 F250 with a 460, loved that truck! Fuel mileage was about 11-12 at best but did not drop to bad towing. I bought it with 140K on it and sold it with close to 240K on it. Never had any motor issues. I would much rather have that 460 than a 5.4

#12 ·
I think you are going to want to look at getting a 4 speed stick over the C6. With no lock up on the torque converter you will spin slightly higher than the stick. With the stick you get a deep first to start the load down the road with so you can run a higher rear gear for better cruse MPGs than the auto. Also it would be easier to swap in a ZF-5 then you get a deep first AND over drive.

The diesels are pretty indestructible if you keep them cool, oil changed, and coolant additives in the 7.3L (look up cavitation on Wiki to see the reason for the additives), the 6.9 is know for head gasket failure (some have never had this issue others have had it), this is pretty much the nickle crash course on old ford diesels.

I love old Ford junk too. I have two inline six's and a 7.3L IDI tow pig.

#14 ·
I have owned both. As far as daily driving, the 5.4 will get you much better milage. When towing youll like the 7.5 better. Tons of torque. I would imagine that you will see about the same milage towing.
My 460 is a decent build and I haven't towed with it, but I know enough guys that have over the years.... Any gasser is going to see around 7-9 MPG with a loaded trailer behind it.
Deisal is the way to go if you do a lot of towing in my opinion....

#15 ·
If I do this it wont be used as a daily. I actually found an older f250 Im goin to check out tomorrow. Its a 85. If its decent I might buy it.

Talked to another buddy and he has a 93 efi 460 out of a rollover f350 that has around 88k on it. I can pick up the motor complete with harness for $300. I can pick up another PIMP ecm from Stingerperformance {megasquirt based} and use that to run the motor and be able to tune it with a laptop and a wideband. Thinking this could make a sick tow vehicle for fairly cheap.

#19 ·
460 ftw! My old dually worked great with that combo. Mild motor had a 268h comp cam weiand stealth intake and mild port work on the heads. I got 12-14 empty or loaded. Had plenty of power. I had this truck from 1997-2000 and there wasn't a 7.3 powerchoke that could touch it. This was used to haul my race car in a 28'enclosed trailer.

#20 ·
I had a '96 F350 ext cab, short box (460/e4od, 4.10 gear, 285 tires) back in the day and averaged 9-12 mpg, depending on what I was pulling and speed of course. Mostly it pulled a 2-place aluminum enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds in it running 75 mph and I swear that it hardly ever had to downshift on the hills. It was a huge improvement over my previous F150 302/5-speed.

I got rid of the 460 truck and replaced it with a '99 F250 ext cab, short box with a V10. I liked the truck, but it didn't have the torque of the 460, and the fuel mileage was slightly worse. Same driver, same snowmobile trailer, etc, and the sucker would have to downshift on the hills. I was pretty disappointed in it overall.

I'd say build yourself a 460 tow rig, I think you'll be happier than you would with a 5.4/6.8 modular motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.