Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Determining combined gvwr with truck and home made trailer.

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  in2deep 
#1 ·
I had some one ask me this the other day and i didn't really know what to say. I understand with a factory built truck/trailer you can easily add up weight ratings but how does it work with homemade trailers? My assumption would be that it goes off of the weight rating of the axle used....however that information is not always available.

I have looked around and not come up with definitive answers....any body have any idea or info?

#3 ·
With my setup my trailer is home made 2500 and under.....it just barely squeaks under 2500...axles are twin 4500lb units....tires are 8 ply and total somewhere just over 10k iirc.....so i would assume my trailer has a gvwr of 9k since that is the axle limit but i guess i don't reall know.

#6 ·
It would be determined by the lowest rated component of the trailer. Coupler, axle, or tires.

If it is a single axle trailer, with no brakes, the rating would be 2999, considering anything over 3k must have brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.