Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Buying new truck --Ford or Chevy?

10K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  hector616 
#1 ·
I don't want this to turn into a ford vs chevy argument. I am buying a new truck this week and want some real feedback. I am getting either a 2012 ford f250 6.2l crew cab or 2012 chevy 2500 hd 6.0l crew cab. either would be 4x4 (of course). I do not want to spend the extra on a deisel so don't suggest that. They are priced pretty similar also. What one should it be?

#4 ·
I just bought a new 2011 F250 back in Nov.and already have 22K on it and I still love it. This is my 3rd superduty and is by far the best one so far. It rides awesome and the turning radius is seriously improved.Can not argue with the GM gas engines being awesome but ford has at least improved there deisels maybe there gas is better too.

#5 ·
i'm a ford guy so i say ford.gm is a nice truck if you like a lifted up car.
in all reality i dont think you would go wrong with eather.pick the better deal money wise and i am sure you will have a hell of a nice truck.

#6 ·
I dont know what the ford 6.2 is,Unless ford has done something better then the 5.4 triton in thieir gasers I would not consider buying one. I am a chevy guy,but drive/ maintain fords at work.
The 5.4 is a underpowered gas sucking turd.The ecoboost is neat,maybe,I'll see in a few years.I like the idea,I just dont think a blown gas motor will last in a work truck. In my opinion ford cant even build a exaust stud properly,but I just wrench on more fords then I care to.
The 08/09 f 250 4x4 long box crew cabs I drive with the 5.4 get 8 mpg. 200,000 mile 2001 chevys 8.1 gets 8 mpg,will blow the doors of of any ford gasser,including the v10s we have.6.0 chevy gets 12-13 mpg and will blow the doors of a 5.4 or v10 ford in the same size truck.
I would also consided how ford treated all the people who are still paying on blown up 6.0 diesel junk.Ford may not have taken bailout money,but they sure screwed a lot of people with the early 6.0 powerstroke... O wait,you dont want this to be a ford- chevy thing.
I am a die hard chevy guy,because I drive and fix ford junk every day at work.
Buy whatever you like best,they are both junk.

#7 ·
I have always been a gm guy. But my dad bought a 2010 Ford Raptor when they first came out and i have been very impressed with it. I know that it is a special market vehicle, but the quality is awsome on that thing. Plus i gotta give ford props for having the balls to make a badass vehicle and not leave it as a prototype. Tough decision!! I will get some seat time in both trucks today and have to make a decision.

Buy whatever you like best,they are both junk.
That comment is awsome and so true:sonicjay:

#8 ·
I would drive both and see which ones feels better to you and what one you like better. They are both super nice. To me its more about which options I want and the trim level. I like the GM's and Fords better when they have the center council and leather buckets.

#9 ·
When you test drive them pay special attention to the little details that you have to live with for the life of the truck. Are the seats comfortable and can adjust to your preferred driving position? What about driving at night, are the important controls well lit and easy to see? Are the HVAC controls simple and easy to adjust? Is everything where you expect it to be? Can the controls be operated with gloves on (like in the winter)? Little details like where the cruise control buttons are will make a difference on long trips.

#10 ·
I have a new ford focus...what does this have to do with a truck. As a result of the ford mytouch system my focus has been in the shop lets say 40 times. As a result of that I have rented every new big three truck out there. Ford, Chevy, GMC, and Dodge. Ford wins hands down in my eyes. It had the most power with the new 5.0 compared to the other turds. I like the look of the dodge exterior and the chevy interior, but the ford had it all. Even though it wasn’t my favorite in the looks department, it wasn’t bad. I'm not sure how far a drive it is for you to get to Waterford but if you are looking for a new Ford I'd consider making the drive and go see Trailrail302. He's a member on the this board and has sold many people cars and trucks on here. I'm pretty sure he's made everyone happy as I've never heard of one complaint.

#11 ·
If you are keeping the truck for a long time little things to consider are interior quality. I have 2 Ford trucks with over 300k on each and there are no cracks in the dash broken vents or rattles in the dash when driven down rough roads. Both vehicles have just started to wear through on the drivers seat fabric. Also I have replaced only a few lights on my f350 clearance mostly, its still on original headlights with 372000 on the clock. Seems I always see GMC s and Chevys with taillights and d r l s out but I love my 454 powered gmc dually.

#12 ·
Well i drove both trucks and they were both really nice. Both had features i liked and disliked. I ended up not buying a new truck in the end. I did buy a almost new truck, going to go pick it up in a couple hours. I bought a 2011 2500hd crew with only 14,500 miles on it. Still smells new inside and in perfect shape. Payed about $7000 less than new on it also. Would love to have brand new but this is close enough and could not pass it up.

#14 ·
Both are nice. Chevrolet has a lot better warranty though. And dealers will often help if something major goes wrong out of warranty. Plus the LS series motors are awesome. For makes a decent looking truck but everyone that has them says they are afraid what will happen when the warrantys run up since there always in the shop. Also, ive never liked the way a ford starter sounds.. i dont know what it is that makes them sound like a dieing dog but it would deffinitly bug me in a DD. I'd go with the chevy since for hasnt made a truck wortg buying since 1978 in my honest opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.