Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Tow Rig Fuel Economy Database

30K views 135 replies 62 participants last post by  silveradoboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I often see people ask what mileage they can etxpect from a certain truck. I propose we start a database with standardized categories to help record what rig does what / when / where / how.

I'll start:

Truck:
1996 F250 ECLB
Drive:
2WD
Engine:
7.3L PSD
Trans:
manual
Axle ratio:
3.55:1
Tires:
235/85R16
Mods:
Tymar intake, tapeworm and cat delete, twildman 6 pos chip

Best Fuel Economy Empty (6600 lb):
21 mpg

Best Fuel Economy Loaded (12,500 lb combined):
16.4 mpg averaged over 7000 mile trip

Load / Driving:
Pop-up truck camper, 6x12 enclosed trailer / cruise control set on 65.

See less See more
#127 ·
keith dont take offended by the comments in here. if your taking comments made on a online forum to heart then you need to spend less time on here. youve been around plenty long enough to understand that this is a game and doesnt count for real world stuff.

how ever i just have a hard time believing your truck is getting that kind of mileage. what is so special about your truck that no one else's truck has that can pull those kind of hand calculated numbers?

sincerely,
boggin

#128 ·
I have thick skin for most stuff. You can call me fat, stupid, whatever. I have a problem with people calling me a liar. I have been around here for a long time, and those who know me know I pride myself on my honesty. Many times it has ruined a sale for me on some car or part, but I'd rather tell the truth.

As for consistancy, I drove my truck unloaded and back to Disney with the kids and wife. We averaged 28-31 MPG the ENTIRE trip. That was when the truck was SRW.

I just drove to Florida again (I'm here now) and you guys see the numbers I'm getting. My truck is now a dually, the entire trip was with a heavy load, and most of the trip was driven IN FOURTH GEAR!

And, as you can see, I still averaged 20 MPG!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that my truck as a SRW, unloaded, and with working overdrive can get great mileage.

I have yet to run unloaded as a dually with working OD but will gladly post those numbers, whatever they are, when I know them.

#131 ·
02 f350
psd
auto
3.73lsd
285's
air intake/ banks exhaust
14-16 summer
12.5-13.5 winter
empty
10.3 - 11.5 with 25 enclosed v nose loaded 9k
once denver to santa fe 18.2
once denver to grand junction 19.3
once around Mi 19
366k on odo checked almost every tank since new via gps to speedo also time to milemarker so its pretty accurate.
Once in my 01 psd e350 24.4 a2 to dc on the way to band camp.

#132 ·
2011 ccsb LML 6.5" bds lift with 37 bfg at's and a bullydog programmer

11mpg towing an enclosed 4 spot to the UP going 70-75 on the freeway and 60 the rest of the time. Last fill up was just over 13.5. Hoping to get 15-17 in the summer. I have seen over 20 on the DIC but I know that is not correct.

#133 ·
Towed my trail rig to wind rock a couple weeks ago. 01 dodge 2500 cummins 5speed 4x4, 295's, 3.55 gears, otherwise stock towing 5th wheel deckover trailer and exo'd toyota on 38's (~7k total)....filled up at home and drove to just north of lexington ky...13.6 mpg....filled up and drove to windrock then back out to the highway..14.8 mpg....filled up and drove to lima ohio...14.5 mpg....filled up and came home...13.4....ran 60-70+ the entire time.

Has anyone else noticed getting better mileage out of fuel you buy down south...i was pushing the truck harder towing in the mountains and gained just over a mpg :confused: , truck seemed to run better too. Is it just me or is the fuel different?

#134 ·
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab

Here's my 1500 Megacab with a 5.7 Hemi.

I've had it for just a few weeks now. In town the mileage has been all over the place depending on my driving. I bought it because it's all 2500 underneath, same frame, axles, tranny, t-case, etc. The only difference is the springs in the rear of the 1500 are softer than a 2500.

2006 MegaCab
Base Curb Weight: 6482 lbs.
Max Payload: 2030 lbs.
Max Trailer: 7350 lbs.
5.7 Hemi
5 speed auto (45RFE)

NO LOAD
City - Heavy foot is about 10mpg's
Light Foot is about 11.5 mpg's

Hwy - Right around 14 mpg's

Towing jeep on single place trailer.
Jeep weight: 3685 - Weighed just recently
Trailer Weight: 2040 lbs.
Total: 5725 lbs. plus gear

Mileage was taken on a trip to Rausch Creek from Michigan usign the trucks computer.
Hwy: Ranged from 9 mpgs in the mountains to 11 on the flats. Overall mileage from start to finish was 9.9 mpgs

#136 ·
Truck:
2001 Silverado 1500
Drive:
4WD z71
Engine:
5.3L Vortec
Trans:
Auto
Axle ratio:
Tires:
285/75/16
Mods:
N/A

Best Fuel Economy Empty:
17 mpg @ 70 mph

Best Fuel Economy Loaded (18' Enclosed Double Ramp Trailer):
13.5 mpg @70mph

(Jeep TJ on 20' flatbed) 12.5 @ 70mph

Load / Driving:
Trailer and truck filled with quads, coolers, and camping equipment.

:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.