Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

E-series Ford vans for towing

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
Considering getting a e-series converision van for towing and camping. Probably 5-7K total trailer weight behind it.

Most likely a 5.8L or 5.4L van. Thoughts on those who have owned and towed with them?

#4 ·
Had 95 and 96 E350 with 351W. 80K and 230K miles on it. They are passenger van with 15 seats.

Make sure van you look have sway bar on rear axle. Or you be in for fun boat that rock back/forth to sides.

But my opinion I prefer 5.4L or 6.8L V10 over 5.8L it just louder and not move van with load really well at highway or hills.

We tow once overlimit gvwr it was ok but 5.8L run out of power with 15 people in van tow 10K pound load.

#9 ·
I had a 2005 E-150 with a 4.6L that I towed my CJ-5 on a flatbed and it did great. Now I have a 2008 E-350 with the 5.4L and tow a 6,500 lb travel trailer and it does OK. I would rather have the 6.8L V10 with the 5 speed trans, but oh well. It is very nice to stretch out a little with the vans over the crew cab pickups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.