Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Titling issues?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RDK_YJ88 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1988 Chevy R30 single cab dually 2wd truck for a project. I know it was originally built as an incomplete vehicle (no bed), but I don't know if this affects me. On my title it is labeled as a (1988 Chevrolet R30 CONV Pickup). The WT/FEE CAT. is 11. Will I have issues titling this as a regular 1 ton pick up truck? It currently does not have a bed or box on it, do I need to install a pickup bed, or can I build a flat bed for it, without changing the classification (?) or needing a special license plate?

Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
I think you will just fine titling. You may need to put NOT FOR HIRE on it and you may need to Run DOT numbers on it.

May want to swing into the SOS and find out but I know that alot of people are getting hit for owning them an no having DOT number well towing there own stuff.

Eric and I were talking about this a few months back.

#5 ·
"Not for Hire" being posted on the side of a truck states that the truck is used for commercial use, but they are not for hire by another company. Example: A company that delivers material to and from their own buildings.

It's a personal truck not towing anything, so I don't see the need for DOT numbers. And by having DOT numbers I think there's a whole different set of rules and regulations to follow.

#7 ·
What do I know? I am just going off the Info I was told by SOS and the MSP when I was looking at older C30 Flat bed Tow truck.
I either needed to put DOT numbers on it or NOT FOR HIRE on it for may own use.

#9 ·
Here's what SOS said to me.

"Thank you for using the Department of State's web site.

The body style will depend on what type of box or flat bed is used to complete the vehicle. If it has a pickup box, it will be titled as a pickup and same for the flat bed = stake truck.

Either way the completed vehicle will need to be weighed - you will need a certified weight slip - and you will have to provide bills of sale or an invoice for the body/box/bed that you placed on the the truck. If it was completed before you bought it, you will have to complete a statement of such and identify the type of body - flatbed/stake or pickup.

If you have other questions, feel free to contact us at 888 SOSMICH (888-767-6424).

Sincerely,
R. Baker
Department of State Information Center"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.