Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Smart Phones

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  booblinker 
#1 ·
Im due for a phone upgrade and am thinking about a Smart Phone. I know alot of you are into the tech stuff, so I thought I would ask all of you for your opinion. I don't think I could get a better opinion anywhere else. So here it goes.
I know little or nothing about this stuff. Are these things worth it? I was looking at the Motorola Moto Q Global. It has GPS and internet ability and alot of other stuff. With a 2yr. plan it's just over a $100.00. Does the internet part work like on a PC? How good are the GPS systems on the phones? Or is all this just bait for suckers like me? By the way, I have AT&T cell service. So I'd be using their internet service.
I'm at work, so I'll be on and off all day.

Thanks,
Rick

#2 ·
The GPS system on my BlackBerry sucks. It never seems to get an accurate fix, but that may just be my phone.

Many of the GPS enabled phones can be used for navigation, so I have to imagine they're accurate but I don't think they rival stand alone GPS nav units.

#7 ·
I have the moto q9c from sprint and it has been great. The navigation works just as good as my laptop with gps. I do roadside assistance and I got the phone so that I wouldn't have to load my laptop up at night and it has not failed me in the month I have had it.

#9 ·
I have a blackjack as well, I've also had a Cingular 8125. I would highly recommend a SmartPhone, but it depends on what you're doing.

The internet is NOT quite like a PC... it is slower, and more latent. You cannot generally run flash (there are a couple browsers that have flash lite, but not by default). I use mine for push email, and it's the best thing ever, I never touch a PC for mail any more.

#14 ·
no. depending on your plan, you might only have "medianet" which is MOST of the internet, but not all (some ports are intentionally blocked)

Also, as I said, no flash. Flash is an integral part of many websites these days.

#11 ·
i just got the Sprint Touch myself. great phone quality and the internet access is fast and even uses IE. only thing it doesn't have is GPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.