Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Gitchee Gumee 2014 Sept. 26 & 27

43K views 310 replies 41 participants last post by  MsUndrstood 
#1 ·
#6 ·
#14 ·
I'm guessing that with as much snow as there was, that the spring runoff did a number on the big bend.

I'm planning on doing a combination of old and new again this year. Since I searched for years for backdoor and discovered I was within 100 ft of it once, I plan to run it this year. (with your permission :d: ) I'm going to hit Lion's back (no one did last year) and another in-and-out trail that some of us did a few years back. Last time in we discovered a new rocky section.

One other option since I will probably not make the Loonie run this year is to run Curly's on Saturday. (gotta talk to the wife about this :popcorn: )

#15 ·
Back door should be great this year. The guys brushed it in the spring. The only question is, which direction? The spring group did it W-E, said first river crossing and said it was a winch fest. They also said they did your 'brushy' section (where Mark and Paula nearly dropped 10 feet into the river) to avoid the water......might have to get clarification on that.

You should also try to get to Lower 2 and No Bridge if you can this year. Lower 2 has a great rocky section. Eric/Indy can vouch for it I believe.
On Thursday I'd like to see if we can find a connector under Pancake which will open up an whole new set of loops we could put together (Eric did some of the W-E work and I'd liek to see if it has any possibilities.

I'd like to push No Bridge further north. We stopped and turned around last spring due to lateness in the day. Both had possibilities and Both looked like they were logging roads in the past. The question is, did they just lead to a turn around? They're close to connecting to a east west road so that would open up again MORE loops to other trails, (Lions Back this time)
j

#22 · (Edited)
I didnt make it up that far to the bend, ran out of time. Im going to make another run up soon. A good friend says the bend is damn near impassible but there is a four wheeler trail cut it around. Said its not 4 door friendly tho so may go up and try and widen it.

Made a short video of my run up last tuesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9r0EaSwkKA

The bypass round the bridge is in the video and easy to pass, it is partially marked but when I go up again ill see bout putting up a good marker

#25 ·
Back door W-> E would get my vote, mostly due to the road miles. I'd rather put the road miles on at 9am vs 1am, lol.

I too would love to venture further "up" lower 2. Though it was fun turning all the rigs in the river/ waterfall around and going back.

No bridge was fun, but hard on vehicles with poor approach and depature angles.

I'm pretty sure Paul's winch was under there somewhere!

#26 ·
Back door W-> E would get my vote, mostly due to the road miles. I'd rather put the road miles on at 9am vs 1am, lol.

I too would love to venture further "up" lower 2. Though it was fun turning all the rigs in the river/ waterfall around and going back.
I think Indy and Eric99TJ did that but something about it tells me it wasn't pretty. There is still some downed logs that needed to be cleared. Not all of their group did it.
j-kb8ymf

#31 ·
That is the Sheppard Lake Trail... The bridges don't look like that anymore. They quad groups have covered them so they can get over them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure why you are calling that Shepard Lake trail. It is nowhere near Shepard Lake. If you want to call it a "lake" trail, you should call it Patterson Lake trail. At least that's what I called it when I took you there.:teehee:

#35 ·
We brushed the backdoor trail from the road toward the mine, I didn't pay much attention to the compass, the GPS did that for me! I can tell you we brushed a long time, its not like a two track by any means but it will move good. My pregnant wife drove the rock section while I helped spotting drivers through the rest, That's funny.

#37 ·
That last wider stream crossing with the big rocks, then the midnight rock garden is what I am remembering from the end of the day. Oh, and your dead clutch - my Dad and I kept commenting about how tough it must me on 31s with no clutch, since it was no walk in the park for my skinny 33s and functional auto trans.

Yes, getting excited to head back up there!

#39 ·
I think we did a great job brushing until the junction that lets you decide north to the mine or east to the main road. We abandoned brushing here and pushed ourselves through very dense brush simply because we didnt want to be heading out in the dark. Dont forget all summer growth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.