Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Common 99-02 Chevy/GMC truck issues (UPDATED, new question 6/8/12))

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Lousypirate 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a 99-02 Chevy/GMC truck.

Other than rust, does anybody know common problems and what to look for?

Trying to get under 200k miles. 4x4, 5.3 to 6.0 depending on what i can find. either 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

Any problems with the leather/heated seats? I like how leather cleans up, if i end up with cloth, i'll probably spring for some neoprene seat covers.

If this should go in the pub rather then tech, mod, please move.

UPDATE:

I'm potentially going to look at one next friday in trade +cash for my subaru. It says it needs a shift module? Is there one for the trans as well as the tcase? How much of a pain is it to do yourself and what should I pay for the replacement parts? (it is a 99 2500 with the 6.0L 4x4)

#8 ·
5.3l trucks had issues with heads cracking.......

gm used in house supplied heads and Chinese made heads....and you guessed it

the chinese made heads are known as "castech" found it out after buddy had coolant start disappearing. Gm has a TSB about this issue and ended up replacing the whole motor. he had a used car warranty through dealership

06 gmc 5.3/auto 4x4 z71

#10 ·
I have a 02 ECSB 4x4 with the 4.8 and 4L60E has 177,000 with almost no rust and the trans just took a crap.. has 4 doors and the two small doors make no wind noise at all. The idler and pitman arm are very common on these trucks and it wouldnt hurt to back flush the heater core because the dexcool coolant likes to clog them up. Also the backing plates on the rear axle usually rust out.

#11 ·
BTW the 4.8 is a bad ass little motor. This truck has 3.73 gears and runs very strong.. Not that its a race truck but it walked all over a 5.9 ram and sbf truck. (both with less miles) and pulls pretty good to. I also have no piston slap that I can hear.. maybe a little lifter tick when its cold but thats it.

#13 ·
If its that old chevy in your avatat it will pull it just find if it has the 3.73 gear option. I pulled a solid axle 90s chevy SBEC just fine.. from what ive read the 5.3 doesnt pull a while lot better. Its entirely your decision though. Also if you blow up the 4.8, the 5.3 or 6.0 is a direct drop in... Every single thing blts or clips right in place.. only thing is you need to re tune your computer or get the computer from the new motor.

#16 ·
the 5.3 has two knock sensors under the plastic intake and the back one tends to go out because water collects in the crater surrounding the sensor eventually making it go bad. building a dam of silicone around the crater and removing the foam backing on the intake should help prevent this from happening again......also the wires tend to break on the shift lever that turn on and off tow mode......replacement lever is around $125....really awesome trucks with minor problems up to 170,000 and going strong on mine

#17 ·
Thread Revival:

looking at trading for a 4.8L 2001 1500 extended cab 4x4.

I was curious how much weight my off road toy weighs, and how much the trailer would weight (haven't bought one yet).

77 scsb, upgraded to one tons, 400/350/205, 37 military humvee tires on h1 beadlocks with rock rings. custom front and rear bumper, roll bar in bed, and side steps getting welded on.

I don't really want to get this if I'm going to be blowing shit up on a regular basis to tow something wheeling 2-4 times a year (or more)

any guesses on trailer and truck weight?

#18 ·
Standard 18ft car hauler with 7k axles, wood deck is approx 1500lbs. Your truck I'd guess around 5000-6000 lbs. A half ton would probally "pull" it, but the problem is if the trailer decides it wants to get wicked it could whip the heck out of the truck. Not to mention that the big hills would really slow down you when hauling. I had a 2000 gmc ecsb 1500 w/ 5.3,4l60e,3.73's it would pull my trailer with jeep ok, but stopping it even with trailer brakes was scary at times. I dont think I would pull a fullsize off road rig with a half ton truck, but thats me. Try to find a 3/4 truck in the same year/ price range. It will have hydro boost, bigger brakes, 6.0l, & 4l80 you, will be much happier in the end.

#20 ·
2000 2500 120k miles when I sold it....

6.0L piston slap - no big deal.

Window cables like to break when cold out and frozen. Cheap part on ebay.

Heated seats never got hot enough. Never looked into it.

Lots of lower cab rust, some inner door rust.

ABS was fubar. Wheel speed sensors in hubs always mucked up. Removed fuse, no ABS = Problem solved.

Drank a little coolant and oil. Early six liter head gasket issue I believe. No big deal.

Gas gage had occasional hicup.

Worse gas mileage than my '05 3/4 ton with 8.1L and a LOT slower too.

Never a trans problem, serious engine problem, 4x4 problem, etc.
Didnt have to change brakes untill 100k miles!
All in all an excellent truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.