Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Help Me Help Others **Finished and still ALIVE**

7K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  kickstand 
#1 · (Edited)
This is less than a week out, PLEASE donate what you can to help me meet my goal.

Help me raise money for a good Cause!

I'm doing an 80 mile (possibly 100 if I get enough donations) bike ride next month to raise money for Type 1/ Juvenile Diabetes research.

This is close to home for me, I have Type 2, but lost My grandfather (when I was 4) and an Aunt to Type 1, and have several other people within my family with diabetes as well.

Anything you can donate would mean a lot and go a long way.

Thank You All!!!

http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/SandalsRide

#4 ·
Yes pipe layer, he is going to challenge himself to an 80 mile motorcycle ride. We should all wish him the best of luck on his challenging journey. I am sure it will be a struggle with mind, body and soul keeping that throttle twisted just the right amount to escape death.

#11 ·
Ha, Funny enough all the training points to carb loading the night before, and the morning before the ride, like quadruple my normal daily carb intake. should be interesting to see what that does to my sugar levels.

Where i'm working this week is biking heaven, so rented a bike so i didn't lose anymore training time than i have already the last few weeks.

Pulled of a 25 mile ride last night, and a 20 mile one this morning. The seat and grips on this bike are uber lame compared to what i'm used to, but such is life.

Thank you to any and all who donate!

I believe @clarkstoncracker has offered reach arounds for anyone who helps out.

#12 ·
As motivation and for whatever ridicule you decide to doll out at me, i'm attaching my before picture, of me about 1 year and a half ago at 395 pounds, and one much more recent.

Please help me reach my goal, if not, the "Random Ban 4000" will need to be activated

#17 ·
Back up there.

Did a 72 mile ride yesterday, paced down to keep up with some others and felt great at the end of it.
And then I just spent the day at 6 flags with the kids.

Going to do 30 miles tomorrow AM, Leave for LaCrosse Thursday afternoon.

Any and all hep to the goal is ch, much appreciated!

Thank you, and I believe @Stan was still offering a rubdown to anyone who helps :thumb:

#22 ·
T-45ish hours

Did 20 miles this morning just to make sure my muscles remembered what they are supposed to do, and then 30 miles team warm up ride tomorrow, and then 100 on Saturday.
If nothing else this is giving me Awesome calorie deficits in LoseIt

#25 ·
Thank you all who donated!

I did the full 100 miles (actual mileage I ended up doing was 102.4).
A very good, rewarding weekend, met a bunch of great people,
a whole bunch of crazy Diabetic's everywhere!

Will be doing this again next year

#27 ·
Found out about a 120 or so mile trail in Wisconsin, so now in addition to doing this 100 miles again, i want to do a 3 day, trail bike trip, 240 miles over 3 days camping along the way.

i've become bike addicted, big step from it having been 8 or so years before being able to get on a bike again last july.

Not good for the budget, But my Cannondale Cyclocross bike I bought last month is a very, very nice ride. This is going to be another expensive hobby, especially since i did about another $500 in upgrades/ accessories to it since buying it.

#29 ·
It's surprisingly easy to become bike addicted.

It's a good addiction however for your health, so it's a bit easier to justify. A 3 day 240 mile bikepacking trip sounds excruciating, even for road/railtrail type stuff 80 miles a day is a lot of miles.
Yeah, all railtrail, Current idea is to do such next june or july, upping training to hopefully be able to accomplish such.

Better than going from 15/20 miles a day in july when i decided i'd do 100 miles a month out of which i couldn't do the proper training beforehand lol

I did get a 72 mile ride in last monday, figured after doing that the 100 would be possible.

#30 ·
training is certainly important, but keep it fun, you'll do it more often.

My wife and I LOVE racing Downhill, but we don't really have anywhere local to "train" for it, so I think that's part of how it stays fun. It's kinda like the KOH guys, they get to go to the badlands and a few other trec races a few times a year to practice, but other than that it's either local trails or wrench time.

For us it's either local trails or lifting some weights. Either way we have lots of fun having fun on the local trails, and when we do get to race downhill it's nothing like what we ride at home so it stays fun.

I have also found the best way to "train" is to just race....Here in Michigan we have tons of cross country mountain bike races to choose from, we actually just did one this weekend.

What bikes have you got in the stable already? remember, N+1 is the number of bikes you need, n being the number of bikes in the garage currently.

#31 ·
Yes N+1 indeed, i know too well already

I am lucky to be SURROUNDED by tons of forest preserves with trails, and several rivers with "rails to trail" conversions next to them, and tons more within an hour or so drive.

Lots of riding, mixing trails and road working in interval sprints and a few hill heavy routes.

I have a Raleigh M80 as my MTB, i love it, but it's old, may be looking at something with 29's to add in the next year.
Just added a Cannondale CAADX 5 105 CX bike last month. Added TRP Cable op hydraulic disc brakes to it instead of the mechanicals.

Right now i'm happy with that, a new MTB would be perfect (the M80 is 11 or 12 years old). The cross bike i think for me is a great fit, can do looser stuff and roads with ease, can easily do trails since it's light and easy to take over bigger obstacles.

#32 ·
The cool part about both of the bikes you have is they are versatile. Most of my bikes are one trick pony's dedicated to very specific styles of mountain biking that they do well, but you take them out of their element and they don't do so hot.

I would really like to get rid of my road bike and get a cyclocross bike as it would do just fine for the number of road miles I ride, but I could also do railtrails and gravel roads with it.

My "everyday" mountain bike is pretty versatile, but not versatile enough that it would be very effective to ride 100+ mile rail trail or gravel road rides like a standard hard tail mountain bike would be.

That's kind of the gap that's missing for me.

#33 ·
Thats why I got the Cyclocross.

My MTB is a good bike, and good for mild to medium trails etc, but after doing 100 on the cyclo i can't imagine having done 100 on the MTB lol.

I didnt, but i could have swapped a more road tire on if i wanted and made it a little easier, was concerned about flats though and the CX tires are a little thicker than road tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.