Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ford Escape Question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  88fordman 
#1 ·
I was test driving a ford escape for the little lady today. When getting on the brakes hard it had this interesting clunk in the rear end that felt like the whole rear axle was shifting (yes I know it is IRS).

This was an AWD/4WD model. Is it possible that this has something to do with the u joints? Thats what the used car guy kept saying he thought it was, you felt nothing on acceleration, only during hard braking right before you would come to a stop.

It was pouring rain, so during the shake test to see what was loose i couldn't exactly lay under there and figure it out.

Is this a common issue? Easy fix?

She really liked this particular car, and it seemed like a decent car, so I don't want to rule it out yet.

#2 ·
I would guess it would be more of a link/arm mount or sway bar mount rather than U joints.

#3 ·
typically i feel driveshaft u-joints on accel. they are known for bad rear shocks. also, was it disc or drum in the rear? the disc brakes like to seize up and that could give you some noise.
lastly, I don't do a ton of them but the rearends like to leak and it could have chewed itself up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.