Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New(to me) 98 ZJ

9K views 123 replies 32 participants last post by  ddeadserious 
#1 ·
Picked this up for $1500 under blue book value. 98 5.2 V8, 249 t-case, black leather interior, loaded(power locks, windows, sunroof, heated seats, power mirrors, etc). It was a smoker's vehicle that was not cleaned(had ashes and tobacco all over it) and he didn't take much care of it, but it's overall in decent shape.
Just a few problems that need eventual attention:
-Heat only works on defrost, working on resolving
-The hatch didn't open, just fixed it today.
-Drivers side seat heater doesn't work
-Various dings and a couple dents, nothing super serious though. Very little rust.

And two of the fleet(these are the normal vehicles in front of my house)

Plans - keeping it mild:
2" budget boost
31" A/T's
Tow points front and rear
Maybe build a bumper for the front
Fix the stuff that needs to be fixed

Hoping to sell the XJ soon so I can fund my plans for this. I may resort to parting out the XJ if nobody will buy it.

See less See more
#13 ·
Looking to keep it low, don't want bigger than 31's because I don't want to deal with regearing. Budget boost will suit me fine, thanks though. The 249 works well, no complaints.

Do a little drifting in the first pic? :teehee:
Someone else did before me, but yeah.:sonicjay:

let me know if you do!
Will do.
i think we all would be interested in parts off the xj.DIBS on the rims and front bumper:bdr2:
:sonicjay:If I parted it out, the rims and t-case(and maybe the front bumper) are what I'd for sure be keeping, but I'll let you know if I do.

part out!! you know you want your zj lifted atleast 3'' and have no desire to keep the xj :sonicjay: dibs on lift
:sonicjay::thumb::thumb:

#9 ·
Do a little drifting in the first pic? :teehee:

#19 ·
Man..... the vultures are already circling..

well since everybody is taking dibs on things... i guess i call dibs on the 1 ton steering, the headlights, that floor pan, and possibly the front seats.ha

and did your gf hit somebody before i sold you that bumper?
No, it was dented from the previous owner, and then a week after you sold me the bumper, she hit someone, so I decided to wait until winter is over to install the nice one - besides, I need to paint it anyways and painting in the cold is not for the win.

Looks good!
thanks

#26 ·
I know, I wouldn't have minded getting a nice 98 or 99 XJ, but I was finding ZJs cheaper, the opposite was true 2 months ago... weird.

I've got some input on Jeepforum on how to fix my defrost issue, I've located the stray vacuum line and will be taking care of it in the next week - I'm tired of my feet being cold. Thanks

Hey... I can try right?:teehee::sonicjay:

#27 ·
Fixed the heat/defrost issue today.

Also, picked up a budget boost and JKS quicker disconnects. Installation will commence next week sometime, probably new years day.

Then, as soon as I sell my XJ, or part it out, I'll be picking up some Rubi wheels and I haven't decided on tires yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.