Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

LP vs HP 30

10K views 122 replies 24 participants last post by  Wramblerguy 
#1 ·
Looking to regear my jeep and I'm debating on going to 4.56s in my current axles or putting in an HP 30 and going to 4.88s. I run 35s and am just trying to decide if having 4.88s is worth the couple hundred bucks more for a HP axle and the work of swapping them.

Also which setup would be stronger?

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Stronger even with the smaller pinion? I use the rig on the trail mainly and a lil around town. I never go down the highway and when I wheel its mainly in rocks and wooded off camber trails not much mud for me. I'm ok with spending the extra money but only if the performance benefit is worth it.

I plan to swap in a 60 in the next 2 years

#8 ·
:finger:
I'm not gonna do the swap until I get my own garage and welder so won't be for 2 years

yes the 4.88's in the 30 are weaker the 4.56 becuz of the number of pinion teeth in contact with the ring gear. The hp is stronger then the lp but how much is uncertain. It also runs on the run side of the ring gear with hp rather then the coast side which helps. I posted this question last year and decided to sell it all and go with dana 44's. A quick search would have found you this thread or one just like it im sure.
I know the 4.56 is stronger but I'm wondering if 4.56s in a LP is stronger than 4.88s in the HP

If youre planning for a 60 in the future, run what you have now. I went down the same path last year building a 44 with intentions of building a 60 in the future and wish I would have just saved the money for the 60 initially. You can always spend the money you would be spending on gears now, for the 60. then when you do end up with the 60 you already have the parts to build it and not worry about buying the parts in the future.
I can't even buy a 60 for what regearing my axles will cost plus I'll have to build the 60 get all the brackets put on and get a 14 bolt in the rear to match. Will be an expensive and intensive swap. I'm just tired of being underpowered 3.73s on 35s is no fun on the street or at the dunes

#5 ·
yes the 4.88's in the 30 are weaker the 4.56 becuz of the number of pinion teeth in contact with the ring gear. The hp is stronger then the lp but how much is uncertain. It also runs on the run side of the ring gear with hp rather then the coast side which helps. I posted this question last year and decided to sell it all and go with dana 44's. A quick search would have found you this thread or one just like it im sure.

#6 · (Edited)
dana 30 and 4.88's - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

This is the thread I started. Good info in there.

I agree with the people sayin just run what u have. Just make due with what u have and save for what you want. Thats what I did. Yea my jeep wasnt that great for a couple years(shitty top, 3.73 gears, no lockers, bald 36's). But now it exactly how I wanted it and im very happy with it.

#7 ·
If youre planning for a 60 in the future, run what you have now. I went down the same path last year building a 44 with intentions of building a 60 in the future and wish I would have just saved the money for the 60 initially. You can always spend the money you would be spending on gears now, for the 60. then when you do end up with the 60 you already have the parts to build it and not worry about buying the parts in the future.

#17 ·
4.56 all the way! That's what I ran in mine with 36s and it was perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I'm ok with running a high gear in low at the dunes just thinking the 4:1 might be a good idea so I'm not putting money into axles that I'm gonna ditch in a few years. Just trying to figure out what makes the most sense motor, gears or tcase

You can swap the internals from a dodge 241 and you'll have a 6 gear planetary and a thicker chain. You just use the 231 input shaft i believe? Don't quote me though I'd have to find the write up to make sure
I'm looking for more power not strength but yes that is true

You're doing it wrong.
Saying I need more power?

Yep. The difference in ratio between a rig 3.73s and 35s and one with 4.88 and 40s is not that different.

White Rhino runs 4.88s and 40s; but he did the right thing and put a V8 in there for his play time at the dunes and in the snow.

Since you want more power for driving around and at the dunes, I don't think a gear change or especially a Rubi case are the solution. You need more horsepower, plain and simple.
I know. I want a 5.3 but can't afford it right now so I'm looking for an alternate route

If you want an all around rig that crawls and creates wheel speed, you will not do it with a transfer case and axle gearing. You need hp. Therefore, you should bump your stroker thread.
I may rebuild my motor as is then regear or do a tcase. That or so a stroker just wondering if it was your rig and had a limited budget what you would do

He sure does have a lot of expensive ideas. What does a used rubi case go for now a days, im guessing for about as much as a good used 4.0 with low miles and more hp then he has now. No wonder everyone is starting to call you out on them. Pick one thing save up, do it and move on to the next.
A rubi case is about $800-1k. About the same price as regearing my axles that's why I was considering it. Wadey gave me the idea

#32 ·
He sure does have a lot of expensive ideas. What does a used rubi case go for now a days, im guessing for about as much as a good used 4.0 with low miles and more hp then he has now. No wonder everyone is starting to call you out on them. Pick one thing save up, do it and move on to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.