Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

27,185.3 miles 49 states, 9 provinces in 6 months & 1 day... WOW What a ride!

8K views 100 replies 62 participants last post by  STOGIE 
#1 ·
Since it will only allow me to post 40 pics in a single post...... watch for the rest of them in a response to this thread!

See less See more
#6 ·
Whats happening? I just got home last night! Of course I'm alive! I probably shouldn't be after a few happenings on the road, but I made it!

... Thanks to good people and a little bit of JB Weld, Duct Tape, Mechanics Wire, and some zip ties! LOL

#9 ·
Damn! That's a badass trip! Little jealous here. It has to be a once in a lifetime experience.
I hope not! There is so much I still want to see! besides, I have 6 more continents to ride across before I die!!!!

#14 ·
What, no Hawaii?

Pussy.

Man, I'd love to do that trip someday...... on a bike.

Damn near done it at work, driving a car.
As soon as I can figure out how to rig a set of outriggers and a propultion system, I'm leaving from San Diego!! LOL

#13 ·
holy monkey butt!

how many tires along the way?
I went through 2 front tires, and 4 back tires and only one flat. The flat came 3 days after I bought the 4th tire in Vegas, but I was able to plug the hole in Moab, UT and kept right on riding..... still holding air!

#21 ·
I started following your blog but you suck at updating.:finger:

How many times did your shit fall off the back?:sonicjay:
Actually I tried but I had taken too many high rez photos, that when I uploaded them onto my lap top, they took up all the memory and locked down my computer..... I ended up using Facebook and my cellphone for updates.... But thanks for trying!

Nothing ever fell off the bike, except for me down in Death Valley!
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/TheRealSTOGIE/Trip to Alaska/DSCN7385.jpg

#22 ·
On the days that I did ride, Some of the days I rode 600+ other days I rode <20 miles...... I'd say my average day was 300 miles.....

I camped mostly and not in campgrounds if I could help it..... most just hid in the woods or found national forests..... the best was a foreclosed house..... I could just sleep right on the back porch or patio and nobody knew the difference!!! most of the time the houses still had power and I could charge up my cell phone and camera batteries.....

As I was leaving Alaska, in TOK, the splines on the trans rod connecting to the shift linkage to the shift pedal stripped out.... I only had 5th gear for about 2000 miles.... until I got into Dawson Creek, BC to a bike shop to get it fixed..... the only way you can get to the linkage arm is to pull int inner primary all the way off..... without an impact wrench, its not gonna happen! The guy wanted $1K to get it fixed and I didn't have the money so we JB Welded it and it got me back to Michigan where I took it into my buddies shop and fixed it right! I used Zip Ties & Duct tape for everything that need to be held down for more than the day....

#50 ·
i'm sure you many great stories. Did you ever calculate the average MPG... gas bill? lol

You just did what i'm sure many people dream of doing.
In high altitude of the mountains and when It got really cold, I was getting about 35 mpg..... when it was warm and the temps were higher I was getting about 40-45 mpg.... I have no idea what I spent in gas.... I just kept going while I had money.... when I ran out.... I waited until I got some more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.