Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

the tippy dam backwaters

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  mtnbikinbryno 
#1 ·
anybody fish the backwaters above the damn?? we have been going up there for the last few years and are looking for some advice on catching those walleyes, they are pretty tricky. thanks in advance, david

#7 ·
Been going up there a few times a year for the last 13, love it. Even if no fish are caught I still have a great time. We will be up there Mem. Week-end.

I have had good luck jigging near the Pine or pulling stickbaits farther upsteam.

A plain jig-head and crwaler or leach works awesome.

#20 ·
Back from another week-end on the backwaters. I took my Brother, his wife, 2 kids and my mom. Those kids have had it rough and this is something I started 3 years ago and now it will probably be the highlight of their summer. We stayed at the cabin in the Tippy Dam rec. area camground, basically it is just for sleeping but was nice for my mom instead of a tent. It has a propane heater and solor powered lights.

Fishing was a little slow but we did catch some nice cats, a few eye's and some perch. They had some kind of bug hatch and the catfish stomachs were packed full of them. We grilled all the fish Sat. night and it was great.

#21 ·
Back to the top

Anyone else been up to Tippy latley?

We just camped up there for the holiday week-end, weather was awesome....fishing was slow.

The water temps are still cold. We caught a few smallies and cats, the pike bite seemed to be the only thing that was consistant....I think in our group we had 6 that were maybe 26-30" in size and a few undersized ones as well.

My wife did manage to catch a 18" eye while throwing a spinner for pike.

My daughter and a perch she caught on her own

My nephew was fishing in the shallows with a crawler and this guy grabbed it up..he was so proud....lol

#29 ·
Had a great weekend, water was still pretty cold on the backwaters, 57-60 on the surface, fishing was slow! We headed to another lake and hammered the gills/sunfish, ended up with 37 big ones, could have filled the live well but I was not interested in cleaning that many as I left my good knife at home and was stuck using a cheap one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.