Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

News from Homer Alaska

6K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  clarkstoncracker 
#1 ·
So I missed a phone call from my dad earlier... Note to self.. Don't miss phone calls when parents are on vacation.

My parents were in the motor home. These are just the pics from the article. When my dad gets done dealing with the police and gets my mom out of the hospital, they're going to get me better pics.

Sterling Hwy Crash: Motor Home and Toyota Corolla
A viewer submitted photo of the crash scene involving a RV and Toyota Corolla. (Zachary Brown / August 16, 2013)

Related
Photos: RV and Car Crash on Sterling Hwy near Anchor Point
Photos: RV and Car Crash on Sterling Hwy near Anchor Point
By Neil Torquiano
Channel 2 News
5:09 p.m. AKDT, August 16, 2013

ANCHORAGE, Alaska— A man from Utah suffered possible life-threatening injuries and three other people were injured in a RV and car crash on the Sterling Hwy near Anchor Point Friday afternoon, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers received calls of the crash shortly before 2:15 p.m. and it happened near Mile 153 of the Sterling Hwy.

51-year-old Kelly Hicks, of Utah, was driving a Toyota Corolla northbound when it crossed the center line and side-swiped a 2007 Coachman motor home, which was driven by 55-year-old Daniel Hardy, of Michigan, based on the initial investigation.

“The driver sides of both vehicles were torn open,” Beth Ipsen, AST spokesperson, said in a troopers update.

Hicks was taken to South Peninsula Hospital in Homer for treatment of possible life-threatening injuries. His passenger, Lisa Hicks, 48, of Utah, was treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Hardy and his passenger, Kimela Hardy, 56, also of Michigan, was treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Troopers with the Bureau of Highway Patrol have been on-scene investigating the crash and conducting measurements.

“Traffic is expected to be hindered for several hours,” Ipsen said.
This is a developing story. Please check KTUU.com and the Channel 2 newscasts for updates.

Contact Neil Torquiano

See less See more
#6 ·
I guess the whole left side of the motor home is gone. It doesn't look like it from the 1 picture of it, but there he said there are no tires left on the drivers side, and that whole side is skined.

The rental company was going to have a new motorhome to them my 1am, but dad said he'd just get a hotel for the night. They are getting a new motor home by noon tomorrow, and are going to continue their vacation for the next few weeks.

#9 ·
The rental company is in Anchorage AK. That company will be bringing another one down. Once PD is done, they will be allowed to collect all their stuff. It's pretty time critical as my dad is insulin dependent, and it's all still in the RV.

#17 ·
I bet Hicks was texting and driving.

Man the damage is crazy! Looks like the RV chewed that Toyota up and spit it back out. Be thankful your parents were in that and not anything smaller. I would imagine the outcome would have been much worse.

Best wishes to your parents. Hope they get better quick and have safe travels on the rest of their vacation.

LAY SOME PIPE

#23 ·
Glad to hear they are ok and the RV company is getting them a new RV quick!

I just got back from an 11 day RV trip in Alaska last month. We went from Seward to Fairbanks and everywhere in between. I really wasn't worried about other drivers that much... I was more worried about hitting a moose. The wife and I almost hit a big moose coming out of Fairbanks.

#24 · (Edited)
I'll pass on all the well wishes. As of 0430 this am (our time) the driver of the car was still fighting. :woot: He has a very bad femur fracture and his wife said he will lose his leg. There is a traumatic head injury, but the the femur is their big concern now.
Statements made by the victim and his wife, and my parents, and all evidence have lead the police to believe that the car crossed the line. My parents said that everybody up there they have encountered have been really good to them, and very accommodating.

My dad's only is only sore, really sore. My mom has busied patellas, a laceration from glass in her foot, and is sore. They were very, very lucky.

Now, the stuff people like. Pictures. Seriously. My dad has just been through a lot, but like a bad ass, he got some high quality shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.