Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Lets See Your Tow Rig

391K views 1K replies 419 participants last post by  SHARPMACHINE 
#1 · (Edited)

2001 Super Duty 7.3 My DD and Toy Hauler 135,000 mi.

See less See more
#750 ·
Picked her up about 3 weeks ago. 2008 Fire Red XLT. 48,000 miles 5.4L 3v. mostly stock. has aftermarket muffler,(no clue what tho), and a code alarm/remote start.

hopefully the Jeep will be running before memorial day weekend. and ill get to see how she tows a WJ plus a quad or 2 on a car hauler.

I did get to haul that sled around all weekend. only knew it was there when I tried to use the rear view. sadly its not mine, its my buddies. BUT NOW I WANT ONE.

Attachments

#1,306 ·
Needed more room so I went with a 2015 Crew Cab Laramie. Not sure about the 8 speed when towing, it likes to stay in 4th and 5th a lot. My RPM's end up about 800 higher than they did with the old truck and a 5 speed auto.

#757 ·
To answer you both.
Yes it used to be a normal YJ back in the day (of MJ), but when we had our 3rd rug rat I had to do something to get them to all fit.
Because it is a fiberglass body, I took it to a boat guy and he cut it in half and added an extra 3 feet in the body and hardtop.
Once I got the body back I simple cut the YJ frame in half and added the 3 feet to match the new body.
And yes it does still have the 6.5L turbo diesel in it.

#765 ·
Not a chance Jess. KOH? Yes. KOH with this rig? No. I never want it to see the dust from out there. Edit: KOH camping in the desert? No KOH camping in a campground? Possibly.

Unfortunately this doesn't have the power for a 3 up trailer. Guess we still need you. (well your truck at least):sonicjay:

#779 ·
nice ride Jim!!! I Like. For the miles you'll put on it you'd never get your money's worth out of the cost of a diesel and since I'm guessing you weren't one of the few that won that big lotto you made a good call. You and Diane should have some happy camping in that rig for sure!

#801 ·
Nice looking dirty! What size tires are those it looks like its the perfect size for towing

Well She is ruff around the edges but man she runs like a top!!!!..... And the buggy will be on the trailer or vise versa or one for me one for you lol

I love your Colorado I hope to build a sasd one someday!

From when I got my 1st jeep over 12 years ago when I was in highschool, I have always wanted my own tow rig, pulling my jeep. I've borrowed tow rigs and trailers, drove my jeep to events and always want to have my own truck, pulling my jeep. For the first time I'm finally able to do that. I was worried after reading how people like towing with 5.3 liter trucks that I would be largely unsatisfyed with the performance. Running almost 50/50 interstate/2 lane roads, I'm happy to report an averaged mpg of 11/14 respectively. That is with the jeep on the trailer, and the bed loaded with 3 large coolers (full), camping supplies and luggage for 4 people and a table. I was overjoyed and the performance of my truck this weekend.

That's pretty good gas mileage I only get about 10 pulling my Jeep with my dads 04 Yukon. What speed do you tow at?