Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2000 Nissan Xterra, Pros / Cons?

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
Trans took a shit in the wife's Aztek, I need to get her another car.

There's an Xterra 4WD near us with fairly low miles, (120k) and a quick internet search didn't turn up any serious problems- but what I want to know is how much of a pain are they to work on? Anything I should look for?

#2 ·
only thing I remember hearing is they had some that had some overheating issues. Wife wanted one at one point.

Overall I think they are reasonably decent vehicles....we used to have a few guys in the late 90's early 2000's that would tag along with us in the marquette area, they seemed to hold their own just fine on the trails and never seemed to have any more or less issues than the rest of us.

#3 ·
Couple of guys I served with had them and they were just as loyal and fanatic about them as Jeep guys are with their Wranglers. They were VERY reliable and did surprisingly well on the rocky Texas terrain bone stock. They never had any issues with them either.

Only things I can think of that were drawbacks were the lack of leg room in the backseat for adult passengers and they were a bit of a dog in the engine compartment but I don't think that's much of an issue for you guys. If you wanted more power I believe Nissan offered a supercharger package as a factory option so there may be a few out there in the used market with it.

#19 ·
...they were a bit of a dog in the engine compartment but I don't think that's much of an issue for you guys. If you wanted more power I believe Nissan offered a supercharger package as a factory option so there may be a few out there in the used market with it.

I remember back then the crew cab truck they offered with a "long bed" was supercharged. It got 200hp. I thought that was humorous as Rangers were NA and made that same power.

That could be a rig, the aftermarket is pretty good.

#4 ·
Thanks- all we need is for it to last a couple years, once the Camaro is paid off we will be getting her a newer car.

Worst thing I saw on line was a story about an engine fire- after Midas had hosed the engine down with fuel injector cleaner :teehee:

#10 ·
Seems like you never hear anything about an xterra. I would take that to mean that there isn't many (if any) major problems or sure things to be wrong with it.

#11 ·
Yeah, very few OMG posts online. I feel pretty good about buying, especially with only 120k on it.

Wife has been doing good about not crashing, and I was planning to get here a newer car but the transmissions are just shit in Azteks... Had it rebuilt a year ago under a warranty policy, but I'm not dumping any more money into it.

I know we should be able to get a few years out of a Nissan.

#18 ·
It has a fairly recent repaint, but no bondo. Pretty clean underneath. Interior is nice too, floor mats need a good scrubbing. Everything works, engine is quiet, trans shifts nice.

After the Camaro is paid off, I'm getting her a new car, or at least something less than 2 years old. This just has to last 2 years with her, and then I get an off road toy again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.