Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Heads up to Michigan ORV Parks

27K views 109 replies 41 participants last post by  bee 
#1 ·
With all the research I have been doing with the DNR, I have come across a little piece of information that turns out to be a big detail for all the Michigan ORV parks.

Private land owners and their invited guests are not required to license ORV's that are operated exclusively on their private property. HOWEVER, ORV Parks are not considered private property, they are businesses, and therefore, licensing is REQUIRED of ORV's used in areas open to public operations regardless of whether the ORV is owned by a resident or non-resident of Michigan. Thought I'd pass this information on.

#41 ·
well I been staying quiet, but the DNR has some recourse when dealing private land issues. if you haven't been paying attension there is a few loop hole they can apply. one of them is the burried in the new act 240. the old law said its unlawful to operate a ORV withen 100 feet of a dwelling above a speed to keep it moving without issue. the new law says that it now 300 feet. so if your ripping around the yard and a CO shows up technicly if your in the 300' window he can write you. the other good one is helmets on private property. if they want they can write you for crusing your yard with no helmet on your quad or cycle. the worst is the kids who get hurt on little quads that go to hospital. I have never seen one myself but if the doctors called you in for allowing a kid under 10 to operate a quad you could have a ticket and quite posibly a child endangerment issue.

#44 ·
Sure, that all makes perfect sense. But a kid not wearing a helmet on an ORV, and somebody on PRIVATE PROPERTY without an orv sticker is a night/day difference. I basically said this in one of my posts, "without just cause". Any officer of the law is expected to take care of these type of things, but the main problem in this thread is the OP stated you need an ORV sticker on private land.

#45 ·
I lol'd at the, pardon the paraphrase here " by letting everyone on to your property....:blah::blah::blah::blah:... its not longer private property" so by that logic every business is now under government control. Go tell your local starbucks that they cannot kick you out for telling them their coffee stinks because you pay taxes and the government owns their lland, therefore you own the place :sonicjay: That made my week, Thanks

#46 ·
Do you need a sticker on private property NO!!, It was put in thre for the Mounds and other public/private enities that may start an ORV use area. Could RV,s apply for grant money, yes they can, but all the strings that would go with that are not even close to being worth the trouble. Remember a CO doesn,t need just cause to come on to private property, so could they write tickets for other things MAYBE, I really don,t want to go down that road. Best we let this thread die.

#58 ·
Not sure how to take a received pm and post it to a thread, so I saved it to my computer to attach it here. Seems after Ron sent this to me, he continued with the shit storm. I represent an off road club and am spending my time promoting it. When you have a title and a group/off road park to represent you act porfessional not childish. Your thoughts need to be reserved and not broadcasted on a high traffic forum. Thanks Ron, for your mentioning our club forum on one of your previous posts.. You have done me a favor with helping me get the word out about it.:thumb: I look forward to making this club one of the damned best off roading clubs around.:beer::naughty:

Attachments

#59 ·
Regardless of what the guide says or what a DNR employee says, its best to go off what the law says. Here is what it says:

324.81102 Vehicles exempt from licensure provisions.

Sec. 81102.

(1) A vehicle registered under the code or a vehicle registered under part 801 is exempt from the licensure provisions of this part, unless the vehicle is operated as an ORV off highways, roadways, streets, and forest roads.

(2) An ORV operated solely on private property by the owner of the property, a family member of the owner, or an invited guest of the owner is exempt from the licensure provisions of this part.

#66 ·
Mini Beast-

You DO need an ORV sticker at wall-mart

follow me here...

Wallmart bought private land

They built a store, then put things in the store

They opened a bank account for the store

They then invited people to come to aforementioned store

Hence, meeting the criteria to......... wait for it......... become PUBLIC PROPERTY!!

Thus, you need an ORV sticker,sorry. And poor walmart, they lost a shit load of money on the value of that land they had to give up, I'd be pissed, thats for sure.

#71 ·
im so sick of this topic im going to park my jeep in the Driveway for now on.. i might join the website called Parkinglotjeepers.com it's in Michigan they like Bowling, cider mill runs and going to the Bars :beerbang: :sonicjay:

They don't wheel or go offroading so i wouldn't need a ORV Sticker anymore so you all can :blah: :blah: :blah: all you want about having one or not..

#73 ·
I sometimes think it myself, but hell, for $16.50 why complain at all, if you've got one or not, tread lightly know the trails/roads, read the maps correctly, enjoy yourself fourwheeling and don't worry about the CO's in Michigan.:thumb:

#74 ·
rockrat its crap bitchin about web lawers after tellin us what a judge is gonna do when fighting a ticket .everone dosent think everyone else is wrong they just think your wrong. I reckognize your patterns again wife starts shit some body calls her on it hubby responds calling names or giving threats. ect ect. ect.

#75 ·
WOW, there went about 30min of my life that I will never get back. All of the personal attacks and non-backed info is just about enough to kill off some brain cells. Guess I'm just confused about the grey area of reality and off-road forums. I'm not going to take sides but this is nothing more than a bash fest of ignorant crap. This post will probably go completely un noticed cause there is no profanity............ Sorry

#90 ·
I'm not defending anyone. I'm just saying this is like a grade school playground. The only thing that you could get on me was a typo and that has gone on for something like 3 or 4 posts now. All comming from a bunch of people with such a stunted vocabulary that they can't use words with more than 4 letters without getting out a dictionary. I sat down to read this posting with hopes of actually learning something. Instead I got 2 or 3 comments with actual knowledge and a whole bunch of worthless bickering.

#93 ·
Just thought I throw this out there too, some ORV trails don't require an ORV sticker for trucks/jeeps, those kinds of motor vehicels. As long as the vehicle is registered with the SOS and road legal, you can drive on ORV trails.

found that out a while ago when I had a run in with the DNR, long story short, Travis is a dick lol

#95 ·
with all the other people giving wavemaker the shit she deserves you pick a couple of us to give your turd opinions about .. you claim not to be defending anyone.sounds like bs to me . all we can "get you on"is spelling since you havent said anything worth mentioning in your 16 posts if you think its fun to spell check everyone feel free it will save us some time . I see your only friend on your friends list is the president of her club which I heard blows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.