Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

**** The return to Gitche Gumee ****

48K views 362 replies 38 participants last post by  MsUndrstood 
#1 ·
Gitche Gumee is back!

September 27-29th, 2013

This event is open to GLFWDA members only!

If you've never wheeled northern Ontario before this is your chance to see one of the most beautiful areas of North America. This trip is not your average weekend wheeling adventure. The trail is 40 minutes from civilization being prepared is key. Don't bring your rotted out broken down cj7 on bald tires, you WILL be left at camp.

Registration form can be found here: http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?13114-*******GITCHEE-GUMEE-2013-September-27-28-*******

Feel free to ask questions here.

#3 ·
I am not a GLFWDA member, but I can offer to Lead a group up to the top of Batchewana Mountain old lookout tower. If theres an interest to some that haven't been there, for the best views of the north, the wife and I ussually make a yearly trip to the top, just to see the fall colors, My family has a hunting camp 6 miles above the Tilley Lakes and know the area well.

#4 · (Edited)
Before anyone jumps on the 'mall cruzer' comment, I will say that it would be nice if we could take a machette to that trail near the top sometime soon.
It's a great trail but unless we keep it open it will get relegated to a snowmachine and quad trail before too long.

Trivia Question: Actually do you know the 'REAL' name of that look out tower? It's not Batchawana.

As far as the event goes, I'm sure Jim R(Indy) wouldn't mind an extra leader who could take on a trail like that. Most of us (WhiteRhino & I) have been there a number of times and would welcome any help taking groups there.
You would though need to be a GLFWDA member.
j-kb8ymf

#7 ·
xjcoup,
That is one of my destinations for this year but I would welcome another leader. It's not my call who the leaders are but it would be great to get to know you. Maybe you know some good spots. :naughty: I actually have a question for you that you might know the answer to. Expect a pm inbound later today.

#15 ·
I plan on being there VERY early in the week. I would actually like to try and kayak some on the river. Still trying to plan that out.

Cool, I don't own a CJ7!

I'll be there with my rotted out broken down Samurai. Already sent it the registration!
Your not going to let that thing 'roll over and play dead' are you?
So who's got that pictutre.........................

j-kb8ymf

#22 ·
Yup, that's Keith. LOL

pigfat, don't worry about a GLFWDA number. The membership secretary typically does memberships in batches when she gets a chance. The membership job takes several hours a month and since everyone is a volunteer, sometimes it takes longer than you might think.

#29 ·
It's your call if you need gas based on your rig. All of the runs will consist of several miles of highway and gravel roads. Last year we pulled out by 9:00 each day and didn't return till between 8:00 and 11:00 at night. Figure on 100 miles per day. It's up to you to do the math. Yes, make your reservations. The campground is filling up. There are 2 gas stations right down the road. MAKE SURE to fuel up the night before, because we can waste an easy half hour getting everyone fueled up.

Your rig MUST be passable as street legal. Keep in mind the OPP does not allow front lift blocks & rigs are required to have inner wheel wells up front. (don't know why.... just is)

You are on your own for your food. You need a good working CB radio.

You must be ready to pull out on time in the morning. My runs will be pulling out by 8:30 and I will leave when it's time. Waiting for someone who can't be on time only ruins the day for everyone else on the run. Sorry if this sounds harsh but everyone on the run has taken vacation days and has driven hundreds of miles to get there. Waiting for someone who can't get out of bed is not how I want to spend my vacation.

The weather in Canada at this time of year ranges from rainy & cold 50 degrees to not a cloud in the sky close to 80. Come prepared for either. I always recommend carrying a change of clothes right down to socks & undies. Falling in a river & being cold for the rest of the day is no fun. (ask me how I know :()

My runs will not be hardcore runs. They are color tours that are in the Canadian wilderness. With that, there are river crossings & rocks in the roads and some muddy spots that will require 4wd. One spot has a large boulder that is hard on rocker guards and tough to get over with anything smaller than a 35" tire. You will need 4wd 5% of the time. there are places that are tight & brushy. Especially going up to Batchawana mountain. NOTE, this is the second highest peak in Ontario. If the visibility is good, you can see Lake Superior in 2 different directions which is at least 15 miles away.

#30 ·
As a Canada/Gitchee Gumee veteran myself here are a few of my current thoughts as well.

1. Bring 100% Deet. You may or may not need it, but if the black flies are out, Cutter, Off, and others just don't cut it. Personally I've found chain smoking cigars keeps them at bay.

2. Jim (WhiteRhino) is a great guy to have lead a run. He is VERY experienced in the area and the off-road world. If you are considering a trip and a "noob" do yourself the favor of signing up for his runs. You will have a great time!

3. Underbody and outerbody protection is not a bad idea. Most of the damage I have experienced over the years there is from sliding on mud and loose soil into rocks and trees.

4. If you are a red meat eater bring your own. The availability of decent burger or steak up there is nil, amd anything served in the cafes will be burnt to a crisp. Ontario only cooks meat extremely done, as it is the law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.