Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

33' waves on Lake Michigan - 25' waves on Lake Huron

17K views 124 replies 46 participants last post by  homerdogeo8 
#1 ·
We need pictures!! :sonicjay:

I've seen 15'+ waves on lake superior, but 30' sounds pretty incredible...

#18 ·
This storm is crazy. I am heading out to DE in a few days and from our call this morning they are already taking a pounding. It sounds like it is only going to get worse and effect a large area. I am worried about driving through the mountains with all the snow they are predicting too.

#24 ·
Suppose to come later today according to channel 5. I spent the first 45 years of my life about 20 min. from Lake Michigan. Seen some big waves, but 33 feet?!! HOLY. All I can say is I hope people have enough sense to stay off the pier. Thanks Mtnbikinbryno for posting the web cam links.

#38 ·
I didn't say impossible, I guess my point, was that in my lifetime, I have noticed with the gradual sandy shore lines around the great lakes the waves typically get smaller and smaller the closer you get to shore because the bottom forces them to break and get smaller as they come to shore. Typically the large 30+ foot swells in the great lakes are well off shore.

Just lemme know when that 30+ footer hits the shoreline tomorrow, be sure to snap me a picture too.

#56 ·
I have been on the phone all morning with people from our other office. I am feeling the panic and fear in their voice. It sucks being helpless to help them. :( I really think a lot of them thought that it was being overblown but they have over 40mph wind gusts and it hasn't even fully hit them yet.

#47 ·
The center of hurricane sandy was located near latitude 37.5 north...longitude 71.5 west. Sandy is moving toward the north-northwest near 18 mph...30 km/h. A turn toward the northwest is expected soon...followed by a turn toward the west-northwest tonight. On the forecast track... The center of sandy is expected to make landfall along or just south of the

southern new jersey coast this evening or tonight.
Reports from an air force hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 90 mph...150 km/h...with higher gusts. Sandy is expected to transition into a frontal or wintertime low pressure system prior to landfall. However...this transition will not be accompanied by a weakening of the system...and...in fact...a little strengthening is possible during this process. Sandy is expected to weaken after moving

inland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.