Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Switching gyms, input needed!!

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  ppkaprince98 
#1 ·
I previously used Endurance Fitness which changed to Elite Fitness, currently shopping around for new gym. Preferably one that is open 24 hours as I have the most energy and time available at 1am when I get out of work. Anything in the grand rapids area works best for me. Just curious if anyone might recommend any or warn against any.

Also if someone can get some kind of referal perk by recomending the one I choose I'm totally down for name dropping.

My issue at my old one is they messed up my payments a lot, double charged me a few months, didn't charge me at all one month and then threatened to suspend my membership, even though it was all automated through my bank account. Also got a lot of annoying calls and they insisted on working with a trainer at some point and hassled me about it constantly, not something I'm interested, which I made very clear.

#8 ·
I have an eliptical, treadmill and weights available to me at my parents and that's what I have been using the last couple months since I cancelled my old memebership but I just don't have as much motivation at home as I do when I go to the gym. I don't know why but I do know my results, at home my workouts tend to be shorted and I skip more often. I got down 35lbs in 6 months of gym and I've barely dropped 5 more in the 2.5 months I've been working out at home(parents home).
To me the memebership is worth it, plus I get a huge discount from work so that helps to

#11 ·
I hear ya, no distractions at a gym really, you're there for one purpose and it is easier to focus on your goal. I currently train a few days a week at 8th Day Gym and highly recommend them. Cascade gym is also very good. I weight train 3 days a week with two to three days cardio. Hope you find a place that suits your needs, there are quite a few places in GR that scam you (double billing ect) and it sounds like you have already weeded those out. I bought an elliptical 7 months ago to use at home, I used it once.... I do have a treadmill that get's used when I am feeling too lazy to run outside but that isn't very often.

#18 ·
Missed the girl who works there... Sadie is her name. Nothing on the table as to specials I saw. I know they'll give ya a free week to see if you like the place. I like how they let you use any snap in the country with the membership. There's like 15 in west mi alone :sonicjay:

No idea if I get anything for name dropping but shoot me a pm if you want to and I'll give you my info, if I do I'll split it with ya. :d:

#15 ·
Planet Fitness is 24x5 allegedly. If I join another gym, it'll likely be there, as they have the $10 membership. My old gym (Anytime) was 24x7, but they were $40/mo. Wasn't worth it.

#16 ·
I liked the YMCA when I was a member. It's great because they have them all over the country.
I stopped gym memberships because I'd rather work out in my bedroom before I shower in the morning but there was a time when going to the gym was more fun in my mind. Now I am all about efficiency and not having to shower twice. :teehee:

#19 ·
I really like East Hills and the Mac, but they are more "health clubs" vs "gyms" at north of $100/mo for two people. Only real reason we joined was for the pools but we also use the other equipment since we pay for it.

Check into GRCC for a good value if you don't have to have 24 hour access

#22 ·
Family fitness has treated me well on 28th st. a few blocks west of US131. Payments are pretty cheep, and they also have some exercise/dance type classes/routines i see girls doing all the time. The reason i like it is becuase there is never really that many people there.

#23 ·
Snap is nice, open all the time, cheap and they have locations everywhere. THe only issue is they are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay to small. I went to Elite/Endurance and even Ultimate Fitness before those 2 names :sonicjay: and I really liked it. Anyway, there is an Anytime Fitness on 44th near Burlingame but that may be too far. There is a Fitness 19 in Jenison, that isnt too bad either. You could try the YMCA, a little pricey but has everything you need. If all you do is treadmill and eliptical then go with Snap.

My $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.