Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mr. Beefy's "not quite yet U4 buggy" build

358K views 3K replies 117 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright fine, I'll make a new build thread :finger: :sonicjay:

Bought a MandM offroad chassis from PJ, super good dude to deal with and super nice. HIGHLY recommend. http://mandmfab.com/id68.html
This is chassis #20

Order placed on Monday 11-5 at about noon..

Got this on 11-6.

11-9

11-12

11-13

See less See more
#511 ·
holy shit, I forgot about this build. Awesome!

Nice hauler too. That is the powertrain I would have picked actually.

#512 ·
I wanted to transport the buggy enclosed. And in the end I want to be capable of hauling two rigs (split fuel on trips). I didn't feel my OBS powerstroke was up to the task of pulling a two place enclosed trailer and with the cost of an enclosed of that size :whiz:.

I also didn't want a full size toter such as yours and Liv2mx's. I am not familar with those platforms and working on them, I wanted something I know and can handle. I figured for that aspect this is no different then a one ton dually. All stuff I know to well on how to repair and costs of repair are less.

Hopefully its up to the task, gots high mileage but runs good and seems to be alright. For the price I paid on it, it was worth the gamble. Its an 07 e450, 17' box. Has the old v10 with the std plugs.

#513 ·
Hopefully its up to the task, gots high mileage but runs good and seems to be alright.
hauling just your buggy, it will be great. Pulling another rig will be on its limits. People severely underestimate the drag of a a huge box haha.

the E450 should have some serious gearing in it... what RPM are you spinning at 70?

#514 ·
I haven't had it to 70 yet. I bought it, drove in shit weather 5 miles to my shop and its been parked since. Already did a ign coil. Developed a dead miss on the drive to my shop. Its needs ball joints bad, and rotors, and tires. I picked up the steel today to build ramps. I need to get out and drive it and see how it shifts and feels before I sink anymore money into it.

I figured the second vehicle would be at its limits. But alteast the box will block all the wind from the second.

Shit I pulled a sm. single axle trailer behind my obs 7.3L and couldn't the amount of drag that little enclosed had. Can't imagine what a full size encolsed would of felt like.

#518 ·
My previous motorhome was a 32' 1999 with the 4 spd.
My new motorhome is a 35' 2012 with the 5 spd.

Although it worked hard, I pulled my 20' enclosed trailer behind my '99 to Windrock and my flatbed to Moab and SD. I sold the enclosed because I didn't feel the motorhome was up to the task of going through Colorado. Overall average with that rig was 7- ish mpg. The package with the enclosed weighed out just about at 26,000#.

I have not weighed the new setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.