Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

ID these axles

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Torg38 
#1 ·
Ok so I watched this crazy video and now I'm thinking about building a rock bouncer. But I can't ID the axles these guys are using. Maybe a d60, Rockwell but it's got to be crazy strong. What axles are going to put up with this abuse and not nuke every time out. Enjoy the video and the audio rocks too. Let me know what you think might live thru this.

#8 ·
all joking aside, (and couldn't watch the video in class), the most hardcore rigs in that video appeared to be running 14 bolt/14bolt.

With the weight difference between a rockwell and 14 bolt, you are going to be throwing around a lot of unsprung weight. I searched and discovered an estimate that they are around 1600 lbs, a dana 60 front weighs a little more than 600 lbs stock (converted 14bolt front should be in the ballpark).
I don't know about you, but I think I would want my chassis and everything directly attached to it to weigh more/about equal to my axles/unsprung weight.

That being said, the fact that their chassis weigh so little, the stresses induced into the axle should be less.

/rant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.