Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

22 Pachanga (now 201 liberator see 2nd page)

16K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I have wanted one since I was a kid and I found one in Akron for a decent price. The only unfortunate thing is that I can not find a whole lot of info on them. I know about all the options, sizes, years they were produced and so on, but I don't know if they have common issues or not, key things to look for so to speak on this particular model. Anyone out there a pachanga gooroo? I have always been an avid boater but I haven't had a boat in 2-3 years and this came up and caught my interest.

Take a look at the add and tell me what you think...

The add is WRONG!!! The boat is an 86 not a 96 and its a 22 not a 20 (they never made a 20ft pachanga).

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-SEA-RAY-Pachanga-2-93772540

#8 ·
pachanga is a classic design, one of my favorite I/Os without question

#13 ·
that doesn't look like mice, more like normal wear and tear from the driver. it is really nice though, put some downriggers on it after you buy it.:thumb:

#15 ·
Pachangas weren't too common. Sea Rays were seen as an old man's boat at the time, so a lot of dealers didn't carry them.

They were pretty beamy for a go-fast, and as Sea Rays were pricey for a 22 - especially compared against the competition at the time (Four Winns Liberators, Wellcraft Novas, Donzis, Regals, and a host of lower-priced boat makers that are out of business now. They were priced up with Formulas and Cobalts. A particularly cool boat of that era is a step-hulled Larson Senza. Unique, fast, nice-looking, and nice-riding.

Like any Sea Ray, they're well-made with quality components. They made a few with big blocks, but they're not common around here.

#17 ·
a clean bildge mean's a clean boat.
Totally... I am waiting on more pics from the dealer since the boat is in akron. I don't want to drive down and be disappointed. As far as the "wear and tear" I guess it was *****, that is why the floor boards and carpet were replaced last year.

This has been the boat I have dreamed about since I was a little kid, I hope it works out. I am a Searay fanatic, what could be better than owning a searay go fast!!!!

#21 ·
Erin's dad has a 28' or 29' SeaRay. I don't know what model but I think it looks nice. He totally rebuilt the cabin a while ago and it looks great. I was suprised to find that he only has twin 4.3 V6s in there for that size of a boat. He must not have gotten the higher end model.

He also had a 18' Four Winns for a few years but sold that.

That Pachanga looks very nice. But then again, I know nothing about boats other than I want one.

#23 ·
Update, I went and looked at both Pachangas, one in Ohio and one in Michigan, both were disappointing to say the least. Now I am currently looking at a 1992 201 liberator with a 351.

#26 ·
update on the liberator

Well, despite the above comments, we gave the guy a deposit and are going to meet up later this week to pay him the rest of the cash and pick it up.

Here are a few pics, I will get better ones once we get her home...

Attachments

#27 ·
congrats the thing looks clean how does the engine room look? how many hours and when where the bellows last done? should be a fun ride i always liked the lines of that model year... but yes you should find a GOOD omc outdrive guy and visit him yearly and tip him with his favorite adult beverage....

#31 ·
Bellows = the rubber boot that seals the bilge/outdrive/transom assembly.

OMC Outdrive = tough to find replacement parts and a guy who is willing to work on one. Post on speedwake and ask who the omc outdrive guy is in michigan and then do as trendsetter said, buy the guy a 12'er.

Ford motors are fine, just so happens that in general the GM motors are more popular in marine applications. Also its more about the drive, the merc drives are much more popular and easier to get fixed.

#32 ·
Shamone!

#35 ·
Well, hopefully it doesn't come to that. I just talked with my uncle, a huge boater his whole life and he has 3 phone numbers in his cell of people who are very knowledgeable about OMC KC drives. i don't plan on beating on this boat, the only thing I would like is a nice lab finished prop. :)

#36 ·
lab finished prop is a waste of money in my opinion. Espescially on a not super fast fairly heavy stern drive.

Labbed props help small hydrostreams, allisons, tunnel hulls, drag racers etc gain 3-6 mph top end or shave tenths of seconds of 1/4 times.

Otherwise on a pleasure boat your talking about anywhere from a 3-6 mph loss to a 3-6 mph gain and shorter prop life....I just dont think its worth it.

#37 · (Edited)
Since you have all winter to look, I would try and find something with a Merc outdrive. In the price range and size your looking, you defiantly don't have limited options. Even if your not an SBC (or BBC) fan, they are damn near bulletproof, and parts are EVERYWHERE.

I've always been a big Mirage fan in the 22' length because they are ridiculously well built, have a perfect bottom for the tight chop in the big lakes, and are rare enough that you don't see them much.

Just another option.

When my father was looking for 30+ footers we found a Pachanga with blown 502's, arneson surface drives, and HUGE K planes on it... probably didn't even touch 90 with the weight and hull design. Could never figure that one out *lol*

#38 ·
Oh I know I have plenty of time to look, but this is what I want. After looking at the pachanga, it is a we bit too small inside the cockpit / cabin. The liberator is the length I want (easy to tow with the Jeep) and it has more room inside. The OMC drive doesn't really concern me since people in my area know how to work on them.

As far as the SBC and BBC go, I have owned and been around boats my whole life. I am well aware of the abundance of GM engines, mercruiser drives, and mechanics that know how to work on them. I want the Ford motor, and I don't think I could find one with a mercruiser drive on it...lol

#41 ·
holy shit, don't let that OMC outdrive get wet, even with rainwater. From what I understand here, the boat will catch fire, kill you and your family, make gas prices rise above $4/gal again, anally rape kittens, make all children orphans AND will make your surviving relative search near and far for repair while going broke paying for replacement parts.

#44 ·
I never said all that but you do need to know the right guy, and at least it is a king cobra they are big clunky and heavy but can take a beating coming from that engine.. hell back in high school rebuilt an older 26 with twin 460's going to KC's... we personally beat the shit out of that thing for two years, so did the owner, he sold it to some used car dealer in benton harbor he and his white trash family beat the shit out of it for a few more years, last I saw it was up in saugatuck, my paint job was holding up nicely.. (entire boat in red with black and grey stickers...) anyways that was 10 years after we had rebuilt it, talked to the owner said it had like 500+ hours on it and the drives were still fine.. so they stand up to a beating you just need to make sure you know an OMC guy and it sounds like you do.. so congrats

#45 ·
Good to know... Since I wont beat it, I should be ok...lol

I know that the drive was replaced by a four winns dealer just last year with the cone clutch KC drive, so I should be good to go for a while...

#46 ·
I had very good luck with the Volvo/OMC Cobra drive, and wouldn't hesitate to have another one.

While the original OMC drive was a Class A PITA, and the old Volvo Penta drives (without trim) were clunky and made of platinum (judging by parts prices) the newer Cobras were just as reliable as, and quieter than a Merc Alpha drive.

#48 ·
$9,000... I think that is reasonable, judging by the condition of the boat and the care I know the owner took in it. plus, a new outdrive, which IS still under warranty. Plus, I got a great loan rate from credit union one too!

It has been a very exciting week, too much for me to handle. (I always get excited, like a kid on Christmas when i get something I really want) :teehee:

#49 ·
Update: I found a great dealer that is reasonably close to home that services OMC and has for years. I also purchased a brand new OMC factory service manual off of ebay from 1992 for king cobra engines and drives.

We are going to take the maiden voyage tomorrow from Selfridge to Algonac and back, then she gets winterized and tucked away in the barn until April.

Pics to come...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.