Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Bought a Jeep patriot

12K views 115 replies 25 participants last post by  AJ Hall 
#1 · (Edited)
Wife wants to replace our 300. She likes the patriots. Looking at a 2012 with the 2.4L 4x4. Anyone have one that likes it or hates it? Have a truck for towing. We are having our first kid and need something that us, kid, and dogs can fit.

Went last night and test drove a 2011 latitude. Real nice. Only 20k miles. Tow package. Picked it up last night. Already have plans for it. Lift, tires, roof rack and some lights. Just enough to make it stand out.

#97 · (Edited)
wrong.....

The 2014 Jeep Compass and Patriot are here, and as expected, the big news is the availability of a six-speed automatic transmission on certain models. The transmission, sourced from PowerTech (a subsidiary of Hyundai) will attempt to address the noise, vibration and harshness issues suffered by older CVT-equipped models by using noise-resistant gears. It has a long sixth gear to improve fuel economy, but Jeep hasn't revealed the mileage numbers for the auto-equipped models yet.

I also just entered my fuel fill ups in fuelly and my first tank with 50/50 highway/city I got 25.4 MPG. Not to bad out of this little, as my boss calls it, Jeepcar.

#98 ·

We went out to dinner to celebrate the wife's new car and she never even noticed that I was manually shifting all the way to the pub :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

That sixth gear isn't available until 50+ mph though. It's a very smooth transmission to say the least. That four cylinder is kinda peppy too. I was surprised. The interior does offer plenty of room for the dogs and what not, pretty good leg room in the back seat for passengers and it's just a comfortable vehicle. Got a great deal on it too. Thanks again @AJ Hall

#103 ·
The one and only time I drove a patriot I did this, somewhere between kentucky and west virginia in the median of the highway trying to pick up a stray dog I didn't want to get pummeled by a big rig.

[IM

We went out to dinner to celebrate the wife's new car and she never even noticed that I was manually shifting all the way to the pub :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

That sixth gear isn't available until 50+ mph though. It's a very smooth transmission to say the least. That four cylinder is kinda peppy too. I was surprised. The interior does offer plenty of room for the dogs and what not, pretty good leg room in the back seat for passengers and it's just a comfortable vehicle. Got a great deal on it too. Thanks again @AJ Hall
I was impressed with the patriot I drove/rented. From Nashville to BFE West Virginia I pulled down nearly 30 mpg at 80-85 mph.

The manual shift option is one of the better options i have seen on an automatic transmission. It actually goes into the gear you select and stays there.

Interior was somewhat uncomfortable after a few hours, but then again most cars are meant to be comfortable for 30-45 minutes, not 9 straight hours.

Handling was a bit squishy once the roads got twistier, front end seemed vague, This only became an issue when I was trying to avoid a deer, on a downhill curve on I-79 going faster than recommended...... It had lots of interior room, stereo was decent, but it still looked like a jeep partiot no matter how hard I pretended i was in something cooler.

#111 ·
I had a Patriot for a while, it was called a Caliber. Interior was as uncomfortable as anything I have ever driven. Besides that, it took a beating well.

Patriot does not = Cherokee, not even close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.