OUR PRICE: $31.04

GM PART # 12563533
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $6.93
OUR PRICE: $4.02
:thumb:
You can order a extra bolt from summit for the one that WILL get lost.:sonicjay:

#111 ·
I'm almost positive the 6 hole flexplate I gave you with the engine already had the spacer with it and just needed the longer bolts

This post has been deleted
#113 ·
use a mechanical fan not an electric for the radiator. she will always forget to turn it on or off if electric.

#122 ·
Jim, have you had any trouble with losing oil pressure on a steep incline? I see lots of people tlak about it on Pirate, and I know 95Geo has got funky with his oil pan, but wasn't sure if thats only in like vertical waterfalls or what...

#128 ·
Here's where mine ended up in my scrambler, with the deep truck pan. Thats the pan behind the oil filter, the big boxy rectangle...

After seeing this, I will be swapping to the shorter style pan and pickup at some point, and probably skid it as well. I know I often hit my spring hangers on rock, and its hanging level with the bottom of them, so thats going to be an issue. I got my motor up as high as possible and the trans is completely up inside the rails.

#136 ·
well, i just took the intake off beckys motor to swap on the new one (motor had a busted intake when she got it) and it isn't very pretty in there. the motor was definatley running when the intake broke and sucked a bunch of pieces in there. you can see right to the valves in a ls motor and can get some of the pieces out, but not sure if there is any that got between the pistons and valves? i think someone has been turning the motor over by hand because all the spark plugs have been out and are still loose. looks like a part of one of the injectors in there and the valves are very rusty. what do you guys think? here are some pics.

#138 ·
well, i just took the intake off beckys motor to swap on the new one (motor had a busted intake when she got it) and it isn't very pretty in there. the motor was definatley running when the intake broke and sucked a bunch of pieces in there. you can see right to the valves in a ls motor and can get some of the pieces out, but not sure if there is any that got between the pistons and valves? i think someone has been turning the motor over by hand because all the spark plugs have been out and are still loose. looks like a part of one of the injectors in there and the valves are very rusty. what do you guys think? here are some pics.
So Beckys motor is the one with the garbage dump in the intake ports?
If so, I wouldn't run it OR turn it over one more degree without pulling the heads.
You have who knows how much work ahead of you R&R the valves and checking them for straightness. Along with whatever was ingested in the engine and what damage that might have caused. Short block can probably stay together for now but I would still pull the brg caps and rod ends to eyeball the bearings.
j-kb8ymf

#141 ·
Well it's a serious question. I've run extremely steep rock climbs both up and down, have flopped it more than once and have been hung up and stationary while pulling cable. I wouldn't call the first ledge at Charlene's soft when it comes to angle. Not the greatest pics but all I have at the moment.

#144 ·
I'd have to put 6 qts in the system and then rotate it on the computer but I'd say even at that angle you stand a pretty good chance of maintaining some degree of oil pressure, but not forever. It's the nearly horizontal, running on you sidewalls for an exended peroid that will get you in trouble.
Remember too, you've got the shallow pan that I say is your best bet out of the chute. Only thing about the ledge @ Charlenes is it's short, make that ledge 6 times longer and bit steeper and you may start to have problems.
I would say that you'd be suprised what an engine can take. Remember my disaster May 31st 2009? Mine was UPSIDE DOWN running for over a minute. I pulled the caps and they looked like the day they were installed. Why? Running @ idle? Mains and rods getting 'splashed' oiled? who knows. I just wouldn't ever do that again. I got lucky.
I'm just saying that if you want to minimize engine damage, put a idiot light in there and respect it. OR see how big your nutz are......how long will you run it with the light on?
j-kb8ymf

#154 ·
Synthetic has a very minute advantage over mineral based oils in the cavitation department. Not much else. All oil has to meet the minimum viscosity test and sheer whether it's synthetic or mineral based. Mineral based oil is getting better every year and I think there was a new class just released this year. So the gap is closing even further.
People change their oil WAY to often in my opinion. You can go 8000-10,000 without any problem. Just watch the level. Add as needed.

As far as running an engine out of oil pressure.....to many variables to even draw a line in the sand. If the engine is not under load there are experts say that an engine will run for quite a while. Like I said before, Just how long do you want to risk it? Idle I'd run 30-40 seconds with the light on. Loaded.....<10 seconds before I shut it down.
One of the 'stories' told around work is that in the early 70's one of the chief engineers emptied the oil out of a vehicle that came off the assembly line. They then drove it around Flint for 15 or more minutes without ANY oil pressure and it survived.
jim-kb8ymf

#151 ·
i am glad kevin is doing this because i would have been pissed about now.

#157 ·
I'm not ragging on you I'm only saying It's out, it's accesable, it's got some 'potential' issues. No reason not to check it over top to bottom. I didn't imply catastrophic damage, only that it needs to be cleaned properly. And the only way to do it is take the heads off. While you're down that far, who wouldn't open it and take a peek.
Your comment about the injector still being intact is even scarrier.......how did the 'extra' injector get there then? You can't drop it in like an old carbureted engine could. Someone must have opened it up somewhere along the line. So it's potentially got a history you don't even know about.
No reason for Becky to be freaked out, just be cautious with so many yellow flags showing up.
j-kb8ymf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.