Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Dog owners - what dry food do you feed your dog?

6K views 76 replies 54 participants last post by  Bruster 
#1 ·
My wife and I currently have a 7 year old lab/border collie mix (75% lab) and a 16 week old lab puppy. We are currently feeding both dogs Canidae all life stages dog food (this is what the older one has been on for years). I started the older dog on this food 6 years ago at the recommendation of our trainer but I've recently learned that this food isn't as good as it once was. So, we are looking at switching both dogs to something else. Anyone have any suggestions? There are so many foods on the market today it seems almost impossible to make a decision, so please let me know what you feed your dog and why.

#13 ·
Purina Pro plan, from what I've read seems to be pretty good. Every other dog from his litter is fat, he is the only skinny one, don't know if the type of food is why, but the others feed thier's cheap food.

#21 ·
Blue Buffalo - Lamb & Brown Rice. Fed our black lab Iams Naturals before this and can't believe the difference it has made in her energy level and her coat. Yes it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for with dog food. I will never feed my dog the cheap shit again.

#23 ·
My Lab is on this... he was on the chicken and rice and all of sudden it wasn't agreeing with him (runny poo) I was told to try lamb or fish that most of the time it's the chicken that doesn't agree with them before switching brands. The Lamb and Rice have been good for him. His coat is awesome.

Pro Plan is what quite a few breeders I know feed their dogs (labs)... if I switched I think that's the what I would try.

My 14 year old GSP is an Iams dog... all his life! Iam's Lamb and Rice (now the healthy naturals version) I tried to switch him to the blue so it would be easier on me but it was too rich for him. His coat was super shinny but his tummy was constantly rumbling... and his farts were awful!

#27 ·
blue diamond puppy,it is chicken and rice,no fillers,top quality.it is reasonable price and is the best ive used.blue diamon adult is lamb and rice,great stuff.i raised beagles.yorkies,now bloodhound,this is the best ive found in years.hope this helps.a word of note, your pup needs a milk base food,for bones,growth,hair,which you already know.this is it. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.