Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My Early Bronco build

106K views 802 replies 69 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
Took a little ride this past week end and picked this up from down south,

it is a 71, 302, 3 spd man, D44 front

I am gonna fix a few issues and get it driveable before the bigger changes/repairs happen this winter.

One thing that will be first on the list is to fix the steering, they put a steering box off a FS bronco which is a popular upgrade but neglected to switch the valve/worm gear housing with one of a 80's ford truck so it will steer the correct way. Their fix was to put the pitman arm facing forward and steering geometry is out to lunch.....:teehee:

Look at the castle nut also....

See less See more
#205 ·
Got the motor up on the stand, gonna start cleaning it up, putting the front explorer accessories on it and replacing the rusted out oil pan.

Changing plans on the trans......was gonna do a c4/d20 but now I am gonna run 4R70W and a 205.

Got my trans today.

#214 ·
I think a warmed up 351 would be plenty for that. The 302 in it works great, too good to pull it. If my cash tree sprouts this year then some upgrades could happen. I have enough projects for now so I will live through your build. Don't let me down, haha.

I have a guy that wants to buy mine but I am not sure I am ready to sell it.

#233 ·
Are you planning to twin-stick the NP205? I'm also building a 71 (just started) but I'm going EFI 351w, c6, np205. My 205 had an easy half inch of dirt/grease caked onto it and the speedo opening hadn't been plugged so I went through it and chose to do the twin stick option. I think it'll be worth the extra 15 minutes of work.

Also, who blasted your tub?

#234 ·
As of right now I am planning on twin sticking the 205, Chuck @ Shoreline blasting did the tub.

I shortened the arms up some, right now they are 12-14" longer than stock just by looking at it.

I ended up having to rework them a little, had only about 1* of caster, now it looks like I have about 5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.