Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Please help educate the uninformed

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Chiefwoohaw 
#1 ·
A friend of mine and member of the Blue Water Jeep Owners Club posted a link for the petition to stop the closing of the trails at MOAB on her Face Book page and was attacked by a guy named Brian Graham who works for the city of warren dpw driving a plow truck. Below is his reply to my friend asking people to sign the petition.

"Close em... All you 4 wheelers do is fuck up woods and leave gas/oil spills all over..you wanna go 4 wheeling?? Buy yourself 100 acres and fuck up ur own property!.. Stop destroying public lands and displacing wild life!"

Please help us educate him about responsible four wheeling, taxes we pay, trail maintenance we perform and tread light.

Look him up on Face Book /brian.graham.1

Thank You

#2 ·
Based on his response his mind is made up. In all honesty he is right. It is extremely frustrating to go wheel out of state and find a plethora of beer cans and trash all over the trails.
I would love all existing trails to stay open, but when you have a majority of once in a blue moon wheelers tearing up trails and dumping trash the fight becomes depressing.
So with Brians statement I can't really argue his opinion/observation when he is within his right.

#3 ·
My wheeling rig has no gas or oil leaks. So should I have a water crossing(where legal)I don't take in water or polute a water/land system.
Obviously this is not the case for all who wheel as a regular hobby.
Yes there is also not a 100% lack of pollution coming off our rigs.

In a leak free rig maybe a 98% pollution free.

#4 ·
I'm not looking to argue his statements - he has valid points - however he feels all four wheelers are bad and should be riding mountain bikes. I found some of his further statements on the thread in Face Book interesting being he's driving an oil leaking salt throwing dump truck. I just would like him to know there are four wheelers who ride responsibly and do trail maintenance and even pick up trash.

#10 ·
The percentage level of those who wheel responsibly is about even or lower in comparison to locals and blue moon wheelers.
Im certain Brian is aware of responible wheelers, but Im betting he is a stubborn truck driver set in his ways.

A good example would be if Brian was some sort of politician, businessman, or executive and was making those statements I would argue my point to some degree of effort. However Brian is loudly voicing his opinion as a trucker driver who plows and spreads some sort of chemical that melts ice. I don't feel the need to explain my opinions to that type of person.

#16 ·
With all the hydraulic lines and hydraulic motors on a municipal truck the likely hood of it leaking hydraulic oil, along with engine oil and/or diesel fuel is pretty high. I know the average age of our local fleet is close to 10 years old. If his truck has an N-14 Cummins or Series 60 Detroit it should be on its second or 3rd oil pan by now.

#7 ·
I think you guys are missing the point..If you wheel than its important to keep as many trails open as possible!! Everybody is open to their opinion I get it! I also think if your not offended by this Facebook thread you probably should not own anything that has a transfer case! DID YOU EVEN READ IT???

#8 ·
"Displacing wildlife"

Sounds like a treehugger or possibly a hunter pissed about low success rate which he's attributing to "4-wheelers".

Like Immortal said, it's disheartening to wheel and run across a garbage dump - messes that appear to be made by locals most of the time - not folks who drove 150-200 miles (or more) to wheel.

#11 ·
Haters gonna hate.

Cliche, but true.

Besides, what he is voicing is what most of the non-wheeling public feels is true. Much like the opinion that anyone with a custom van is a molester, all I can say is that one person's opinion says more about them than it does about anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.