Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

How in the hell do you put your dash back together??

YJ: 
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ovrlnd 
#1 ·
So, after a lengthy frame up build and having the dash ripped out of your jeep for several years how did you guys figure out where all of the wiring under the dash goes? I have looked at countless wiring diagrams online and maybe I am just challenged :nana: but they aren't really making this any easier. I have hooked up some of the main things that were it was obvious where they go, but I have countless connectors that are just dangling and I've got no clue what they go to! Google images hasn't helped much either... The best info I have found thus far has been the install instructions for the painless wiring harness because it at least shows pics with labels of what some of the connectors are.

In the great wide interweb there has got to be some resource out there for issues like this...

HALP :chauncy:

or if anyone in royal oak has a YJ with a stock dash, bring it over so I can look at how yours is hooked up :sparks:

#2 ·
There are a lot of connectors that you probably won't use behind the dash. Depending on your options. Next time, I'll bet you'll remember to label your connectors as you take stuff apart. ;)

I have a mostly stock dash in my 94, and I live in Madison Heights. I have a PDF somewhere on the HD that has all the wiring for 92-95 YJ. If you have an earlier year, I can get a hold of that one too.

#3 ·
I have a 93 and everything was functional (before I ripped it apart) and I had 3-5 plugs just tapped off not connected, I think they were for things like rear defrost, A/C, radio, speakers and the like, options it did not or no longer had.

#5 ·
Yeah like stated above there always seems to be extra plugs
Just plug in all that you see and see what doesn't work
There are quite a few that plug into the column as well

#6 ·
If it's non standard setup I would ditch it for a nib aftermarket personally. When I swapped motors long ago I ended up tracing every unused wire after the install and removed them from the factory harness leaving little questions and used my chiltons manual diagram. Looking back I feel it would have been easier to just start from scratch. Hope you are able to get it worked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.