Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

the '46 2A *82" of FUN*

117K views 533 replies 85 participants last post by  Woodyjiw 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I finally have my build plan, and the engine goes in tomorrow so its a good time to post....

that mixed with a

Small Spring Lift
Buick 225 V6
T-86 or t-14
D18
slight stretch (very slight 2")
saggy swap using a FSJ power steering box (f'in huge)

pizza cutters
winch
possible PTO (if I can find one)

3.73 super NT D44
3.73 Standard NT D30 with Disc Brakes

Upgrade the Master cylinder to a 2 chamber at some point.

The jeep will have a military arctic hardtop off a M38 as well.

CJ5 frame... Beefier and will hold up better over time since this rig will likely be lightly wheeled.

Eventually Fuel Inject the 225 for added economy.

See less See more
#169 ·
I believe the springs are 2-3" then I have .5" from the shackles, and .5" or so in the body mounts I used. The 34" tires look about perfect on it in person, when I get the paint and stuff on it I think it will look exactly as I hoped. The 34" tires do no measure 34," IIRC 99grandTJ measured them when we were monkeying with it and they measure closer to a 32" tire.

#176 ·
So how is that going :tonka:

I thought I heard you go by but it is kinda stealthy now :tonka:
Yeah about 10:30ish, I didn't drive by your house, but I did rev it for the video I took and that wasn't far away :tonka:

Nice background pic
Are you going to the Mounds soon?
I hate the mounds mud. If I could go there and not get 2" of concrete, sewage smelling, staining, mud all over my jeep I would go. I still have mud coming off my YJ from 3 years ago, after HOURS of pressure washing.

That said, it may end up out there, It would fit down the quad trails... but it would have to be before I finally paint it which I would like to get the tractor paint and do soon.

Looks good, Jacob :thumb:.
Thanks,

Pming you now though :tonka:

#172 ·
I am bummed, I went out and bought some Thrush Turbos to put on the CJ2A to make it trail legal (the glass packs were not considered spark arrestors) and Adam and I put them on... I can now hear every rattle, squeak and pop.... I didn't expect it to be quieter considering the exhaust is headers into mufflers into nothing right under my seat.... :sonicjay:

On the up side, I won't hear that crack tractor exhaust sound for 3 days after I drive it

I wish I could run the open headers, that sounded nice and throaty.

Another upside is it feels torquier...

New Bikini top looks nice as well.

These are probably 1/4 of the glass packs I had R)

Here are the pics, we finished after dark so this is the best I have. The bikini is actually for an early 5, but it was dirt cheap.

Sample of what I took...

And the video.... Really quiet, the camera was only about 10' away.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/scruffyjeeper/CJ2A/?action=view&current=DSCF0305.flv

#183 · (Edited)
Hmm now you have me thinking cuz I want to stay near stock (maybe lil taller tires thats it). Are your old springs in good shape? I probably need to replace mine along with the spring hangers. Thanks for the inspiration. Makes me want to get going on mine. yours looks great! Let me know on the springs and hangers.

#184 ·
I have read people using the 2" lift and retaining the ross setup. if remaining with the ross you'll have to adjust your toe in as the lift will toe the tires in more. saginaw swap is ideally the best way to go but if you rebuild the ross and the drag link I doubt it would be much issue unless you were running a wide tire. also it is advised that you swap to a later and longer H stlye shackle. for cheap insurance I would do the button head screw mod to the spindles to get rid of the weak thread into the knuckle stock setup. I want to run a 31x9.50 on mine so plan to go with the 1" with a .5 shackle.

#185 ·
Thanks for the advice Ill keep that in mind. I have the "rare" column shift on this cj serial number 36????. My intention is to keep it near stock as possible except for the 31"s I put on it. They seem to clear fine but my springs are bent and sagging some. I considered 2" lift to get more clearance but I think some good new or used stock ones will work fine. I plan to use it for show and shines and LIGHT trail use around Cadilac, Lake city area.

#191 ·
One of the local clubs was having a trail maintenance (SoFO) so I asked Adam if he wanted to go with me, we could try the flatty out towing the M416 on the trails.

Overall the trails didn't need too much, and we hauled out 2 trucks full of mattress springs, and some tires and about a half trailer of mixed bullcrap.

Great time, met a lot of good guys I hadn't met before and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Flatty did AWESOME. Way better then I expected in all the sand pulling a trailer. I often just had it in 3rd, 4-low and let it Idle and lug down the trail as in the beginning it was slow going. I'll be darn if it wouldn't keep chugging down to 3-400 RPM. You could hear each cylinder firing.... R)

OK now the pics....

#197 ·
Actually it is wired to the fuse box, but it has a quick disconnect where you could switch it to a cig lighter plug to put it in another vehicle. I have not wired up my cig lighter plug yet, but when I do my handheld CB will be plugged into it most of the time.

I tried it out tonight, and other then the speaker being old and crusty it worked well. I am going to replace the speaker and see how well it works then. This one distorts if you turn it up to hear it when going over 45.

I am trying to decide if I want the cig plug in the side of the ammo box. It probably will go in the dash though since the hole is already there for it.

I also need to figure out how to mount it so it is removable.

I used my CD player to test the tapedeck, but even with 40 sec skip protection I couldn't use it going down the road unless I set it in my lap :tonka:

#200 ·
Went out tonight to put a new speaker on and ended up doing a lot more... I decided I wanted a riser, still not sure how I want to mount the box, but I wanted a riser.

I suggested to Adam maybe we could use my old YJ spare tire carrier that was going to scrap, he worked his magic and it actually is turning out great! Just need o figure out how I want to mount the box so it is removable...

#202 ·
How comfortable are your seats? lol mine look great all original with no tears. But man you sit on them the air hisses out and your on the springs in seconds.

Plan on restuffing them this winter.
The passenger seat cusions are falling apart, but have padding. My drivers seat cusion is starting to come apart worse, but it comfortable. I do not have a backpad on the drivers side and I drive it all over as is, I actually like the steel seatback. I probably have put 3k miles on it like that.

#204 ·
No clue, it can't be much, it is just a CB radio speaker and a Cassette deck. I can only turn it up a bit over halfway before it distorts. I have a 20 amp fuse on it though. I have it wired like it would be in a jeep if it was installed in the dash... just in a box. How would you not have enough amps?

I would put my amp meter on it, but I blew the fuse in that somehow as it wasn't working when I went to use it the other day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.