Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

E Cig/Vapor people. WTF is what?

45K views 420 replies 67 participants last post by  jbsjunk 
#1 ·
have a few friends that have quit smoking normal cigarettes by using one form of e cig or another and i'm also thinking of trying it myself.
i'v tried the chantix four or five times and although it works very well and the dreams are awesome beyond belief, it makes me very mean and angry after about a month of using it. it also causes a great amount of sleep loss.
i've tried the cold turkey thing more times than i can count so the just quit comments mean nothing to me.

what i'm looking for is opinions, suggestions and explanations on what is what. i've been doing some research on this and the price range is all over the place and the options are endless.

i don't want to sink $40 into a "starter kit" and decide to upgrade to a $200 unit shortly after. i want a high quality unit with dependability that is user friendly. i like the idea of being able to adjust the voltage and being able to refill the container without buying "cartridges"

opening this up for discussion on WTF is in the "juice" that is being vaporized VS a normal cigarette too.

fire away!

See less See more
#4 ·
Girlfriend has one, and she said using it for a few days will give you a sore throat, she still smokes. I quit about 4-5 yrs ago after my grandpa really started showing signs of emphysema and couldn't even catch his breath while walking, I wanted to quit so I did. I used and I still do keep a pack of swisher sweet cigar cig style pack in my vehicle. I only smoke one when I feel like I need a regular cig, for me most of the time its while I am driving a few hours at a time or in a high tense situation, and usally they are so nasty I throw half of it away. But they've kept me from going back, do I still want one? Hell yes I just know when I get that nicotine flowing again I will be back at it and I don't want that. Surprisingly that's what worked for me.

#9 ·
I love the smell of a swisher sweet even second hand. I keep a pack in the glove box and treat it like a cigar smoking a little then snubbing it out. I have one now that has to be older then 2 years old with the second one down 1/2 way.
I only smoke during celebrations honoring someone who smokes to make them feel less ostracized.

#5 ·
I have heard to stay away from the cheapies from the gas station. The liquid that you are smoking has nicotine from china in it. There aren't any health standards on it so there is more toxins than the stuff you get from the USA. The higher end made in USA liquid is bought from domestic big name tobacco suppliers. I don't smoke anymore but I tried one at a shop in boulder that didn't have nicotine, just flavor. I can say if I would have bought one when I was trying to quit I would have still smoked. That is just my experience, not saying it wouldn't work for you.

#6 ·
Try smoking a pack of Pall Mall Ultra lights.

The combination of less nicotine followed by the nasty "make you gag" after taste of the ultra lights(4 mg tar, and 0.4 mg nicotine) will screw with your head to the point you will hate the smell of second hand smoke.

I dare you to make it through 3 packs of Paul Mall Ultra Lights without smoking any other brand.

My brother smokes Marlboro's Reds and has been for years. I bought his car recently and back window defrost has a permanent smoke streaks burnt into the plastic to give you an idea how much he smokes. I will need to replace the glass to tint the rear window.
I offered him a pack of Paul Malls and he quickly gagged/tossed the 1/4 used cigarette on the ground and asked if I was trying to kill him.:sonicjay:

#8 ·
We might find out in 10-20 years that the e-cig gives you throat cancer, or is twice as damaging to your health than normal cigs.

It's all in your mind, if you're not ready to quit, you won't. It's same as being overweight, the latest diet will help you for a bit, but if you are not ready to stay fit in your mind, you will be back at it.

#12 ·
i agree with this, it's like any other addiction. if the user don't want it, it's not going to happen. and honestly, who knows what is in the e cig "juice"
i've quit many bad habits over the years but quitting cigarettes has been the hardest habit to kick so far.

if i quit smokes, the only physically bad habit i'd have is beer and i'm not going to give up on that. :thumb:

#10 ·
Marlboro's Reds, i've been smoking these for over 20 years and am seriously wanting to try another alternative besides pills to help me quit. not thinking another brand of cigarette is going to do it.

the people i know that have been using the e cig to quit say they feel like they can breath better and are hacking up chunks of lung just as if they quit smoking normal cigarettes within the first week or so.

every time i quit in the past i would hack chunks for about a week or more. :sonicjay:

#16 ·
PM Monkeybiz. IIRC he was smoking a pack and a half of Reds a day or something. He is totally onto a E-cig now.

There was just a news article someplace though I can't find it now that talked about the USA vs China ones and the differences. I think it may have been Time Magazine this week when I was at the dealership.

#18 ·
It's all in your mind, if you're not ready to quit, you won't.

^^^^This says it all. I smoked for about 45 years and tried to quit several times with no success, until I made up my mind to do it. I have been free of cigs for 10 years now and quit cold turkey when I decided in my mind to do it. I tapered off over a couple of weeks then quit and haven't looked backed. Do I still want one, yes. Do I like the smell of someone else smoking yes. Do I inhale second hand smoke, when ever I can. Good luck.

#19 ·
I love trying other peoples E-cigs. I am thinking of getting one for myself. They have delicious flavors and kick in a mean buzz after a few beers. This may be my gateway to real cigs. I am only kinda joking....

BTW, no one has answered the questions about what the liquids are? I have heard vegetable oil, but that doesn't sound right to me. What ever it is, it has to be bad for you, that's just the way the world works. There is no way smoking and E-cig isn't bad for you in some way.

#20 · (Edited)
Currently near you, besides gas station Blu E-cigs, Lakeshore Vapors down on Sternberg is your only option... Although, a little birdie told me one is opening on Apple.

I agree with your statement that you don't want to buy a starter kit, and then up grade. This is what you want. The BIGGEST revolver 808(eGO-CTwist), bottom feed tank, and juice of your choice. Get a couple USB chargers, maybe a smaller battery for a spare. Get a snap neck lanyard, not the clip BS one that have out front, and a couple spare wicks.

My current set up is the large (1000mAh I think) revolver 510 (lasts all day with heavy use) 2 bottom feed tanks, and Toro Rouge 36mg (26mg bumped). Love love this shit out of it. Drop my name and I get a 5.00 credit to my next purchase.

If you buy juice in their 'big' container, after you buy a certain amount of them, you get one free, which is nice.

#21 · (Edited)
Oh, and as for flavors. The watermelon sucks. (that was my last gamble) I've tried a few different ones, mixed a few, but at the end of the day, Toro Rouge which use to be energy cow, which is has a red bull flavoring to it is my favorite. Every now and then throw a bit of Cherry into it to mix it up. But try a few different ones, see what works for you.

I'll be down there Thursday to get another bottle or 2 of juice, I can meet you there if you want. Also, if you think the neck lanyard is dumb.. you have to much money. I've broken... 5 or 6 batteries. My wife calls mine my binky.. I get all torqued out of shape if I don't have it. :sonicjay:

#27 ·
My wife tried the ecig. Made her throat sore. Still smokes like a chimney. I quit almost 12 years ago because I was ready. Cold turkey. Was it hard? Yes. At this point in time I feel the best choice I ever made was to quit smoking. I cannot stand the smell of smoke now, but really like the smell of a freshly opened pack.
Whatever you try, good luck and stay the course, you will not regret it. I have never heard anybody say they wished they still smoked.
Chantix made my wifes blood pressure goofy too. The doc told her to stop using it.

#28 ·
Backwoods Sweet were great, loved em, but losing your breath after a flight of stairs was enough for me.
Chantex worked and have not looked back. It's been 5 years and I don't even think about it anymore.
For your health and long term effects of smoking, quit, you'll thank yourself later.

#31 ·
Lady: Do you smoke?
Guy: Yes I do.
Lady: How many packs a day?
Guy: Three.
Lady: How much per pack?
Guy: Ten dollars.
Lady: And how long have you been smoking? Guy: 15 years.
Lady: So one pack is $10 and you've been smoking three packs a day, which puts your monthly spend at $900. In one year it would've been $10,800. Correct?
Guy: Yes.
Lady: If you spend $10,800 a year, not accounting for inflation, the past 15 years puts your total spend at $162,000. Correct?
Guy: Yes.
Lady: Do you know if you hadn't smoked, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after calculating compound interest for the past 15 years, you could've by now bought a Ferrari?
Guy: Yes. Oh! Do you smoke?
Lady: No.
Guy: Then where's your fucking Ferrari?

#35 ·
joyetech is the only battery I use and I buy everything from boosted vaper, they have a store on Gratiot and 16 mile. web site is boostedvapor.com. good people and know the product and they blend the flavor right at the store with u.s. nicotine. they have around 130 flavors, offer 0mg-36mg nicotine, add more flavoring than most brands, just good people. their standard blend is 50-50 of PG & VG. I've tried other brands of liquid and they were just blah, lacked the flavor i'm use to. they have a kick ass watermelon !! oh and you can sample everything first, big plus in my book.

I have a ecab, eroll, 3 eGo-c 650, 3 eGo-c 1000, 6 vivi mini nova tanks, 2 mini davide tanks and a bunch more I can't think of off hand. it's a new hobby for me and quit cigarettes 5 months ago. all I vape is 36mg, have around 35 flavors. I like the top feed tanks for tobacco flavors and bottom feed for everything else.
top feed is a warmer vape and I think tobacco flavors don't burn out the atomizer as fast. they last about 1 month verse 1 a week with the bottom feed, but that's just me..

eGo twist is a nice starter or the e-vic. if I ever get a mod, the e-vic will be my pick. has a lot of features if your into that kind of think. you can even hook it up to your computer and your usage data lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.