Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

hot tap

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sglide 
#1 ·
a hot tap is where a customer has a vessal or piping that has gas of some sort (natral gas, h2s, propain ect,) that they need removed but cant access for som reson (welded shut, caroded shut ect.)
so i have to go there and weld a 2" collar on the pipe (blowing through means your dead) and atach a sealed drill to the collar and drill a hole (very slowly)
to vent the gas so we can work on the line.
that is what i have to do monday morning.
some times being a welder sucks.

#4 ·
it depends on the gas inside the pipe, if its an abandond oil well your going to reopen so they can redrill it you have to run hot on you first pass (root, beed in) becouse the interior gas will be 12deg ferin. and you really want that first pass to tie in so you dont have to do alott of grinding on you root.
if its pipe line pipe i find out what thickness it is. if its 80 wall you dont have to worry to much about heat, but if its 40 wall or .188 you turn way down and use 3/32 P-rod and try not to shit your pants more than twice per pass

#7 ·
we all got shinny new ultrasound thikness testers after that oil rig problem, we finaly got gas monitors for all the trucks too. im almost glad that rig tried to kill averybody, it reminded everyone around here how dangerous this shit really is.
and have you forgotten my golden rule jim= the company man holds my hand!
i came up w/that one on that facility jod in the hot zone in kalava.
the company man asks me to weld a collar on the manway cover on a crudeoil containment tank, he stands there as i get all spooled out to it and set up to weld then jumps in his truck and strarts to leave location, seeing this i wave him down and ask him wtf? hes going to lunch. i spooled up and called my boss from the road letting him know why i wont work on that fac. again.
after that my rule is if its to dangerous for the guy in charge its to dangerous for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.