Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

machine shop advice

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  frdboy 
#1 ·
So I'm building a big block ford stroker motor for my 79 bronco. It will end up being a 460 based 521 stroker. Looking for a quality machine shop with a good reputation in the Holland/ Grand Rapids area. Holland automotive machine is very close but I've heard mixed reviews. And advice would be most welcome!

#7 ·
I have had performance engineering do work for me a few times, all on stroker 460's. I've always been very happy with the quality of work. As frdboy said above communication isn't always great, and they took a little longer than quoted the last time. Unfortunately that seems to be the norm with engine shops...

#11 ·
Hi Scout- PM me if you need any advise. I use Varneys in Muskegon for the bottom end machine work and machining/ballancing and Car Quest in Grand Haven for the head surfacing and any valve guide/seat work.

I do the assembly and porting/polishing myself.

#15 ·
True story you should see the motor they put together for farva

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Well the heads turned out just plain sexy. Everything is out for the heavy machine work currently and we should be assembling it over the holidays.

He might have to start a new build thread with this one. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.