Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Insurance on a vehical being towed?

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  84Scrambler 
#1 ·
Do you need to have insurance on a jeep that is being hauled on a trailer?
My Insurance guy tells me yes, and that if i was in an accident any damage caused by the jeep would need to be covered by the jeeps insurance, It would not be covered by the insurance of the truck that was pulling the jeep.
Does this sound right to anyone?

#6 ·
Actually sounds rediculous to me. If you aren't plating it or driving it on the road why the hell would you insure it other then fire/theft? Which is like $5 /monthly. Do you have the trailer insured? What if the trailer is the issue?

Let me guess........ state farm?

#14 ·
It's been explained to me that if it has an individual title, it needs to have it's own insurance. Your tow vehicle insures your trailer but not the vehicle on the trailer. In the case of my enclosed trailer, I need separate insurance on it for it's contents but not the jeep in it.

#17 ·
I have actually been with State Farm since I was 16, I am 32 now. I have only had 1 accident and they fixed my car with out any issues, and it was fixed fast and well by Family Auto. I know some people here dont like that dealer much either.
I dont have any problems with State Farm I just wanted to verify what my agent told me.

#20 ·
progressive was AWESOME when i get in a wreck leaving the blessing last year. he didny question the prices i told him and didnt get any prices from the cheapest places around he went by the places i like to shop. wrote me a check on the spot and told me if i found anything else wrong to give him a call and he would send me another check. hell they gave me $1750.00 for a dana 30:sonicjay:

#24 ·
The way Memic explained it to me last year.

A vehicle on a trailer is a "load", and any load on any trailer should be insured if you want to be paid for that item if it's damaged in a wreck. The tow vehicle insurance covers the trailer and load for liability only, not damage. If you want coverage against damage, both the trailer and the load must have their own policies.

I have full coverage on my trailer, it's about $50/year. It will cover damage/replacement up to $2500. It does not cover the load for full coveage, only the trailer itself.

#26 · (Edited)
I have checked into this for my 2-car hauler. My insurance will cover my tow rig, my trailer, and my Jeeps. But, each has its own policy. If I wreck I will have a deductible to pay for the tow rig, the car hauler, and 1 or 2 vehicles on the trailer that belong to me. They will cover the damage for my vehicles. If I am carrying another person's Jeep, they will cover the liability only. The damage is the responsbility of the vehicles owner and their insurance policy.

I had an issue this past year when the bearing on our fifth wheel camper exploded. The wheel came off causing about $3k in damage to the 5er. The wheel also caused some damage to my tow rig. I have to pay the deductible for both vehicles as they are sperately insured even though they were coupled together and the damage to the truck was caused by the wheel coming off the trailer.

You need to seriously read your policy for off-road driven vehicles. Some policies deny coverage for off-road incidents completely. Some policies are vague on that point. You need to get in writing from the underwriter a statement that you are covered. Something verbal from your agent or even in writing from your agent is worthless. Agents don't have the authority to issue coverage or amend coverage or even interpret coverage within a policy. That is up to the underwriter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.