Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

629 Trail Boss

5K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  8PTBUCK 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a 629 Trail Boss. Probably a long shot, but thought I'd at least try my luck. Let me know

LAY SOME PIPE

#8 ·
I like it, but I think I'd want some bigger grips to hold on to that bad boy when I pulled the trigger. My scoped & ported Anaconda with an 8" barrel isn't too bad. The worst part of the stubbie .500 I shot was the blast from the magnaporting both those had much larger grips.

#9 ·
I like the factory rubber grips on my 329PD. I do like the wood grips shown though. They don't snag or grip on a shirt or jacket like the rubber does. My old man has a mountain gun and prefers the factory rubber ones as well. We both feel it is a give and take thing. They aren't really meant for shooting all day long, they are meant to save your ass in the wild. If you are reacting to a polar or grizzly bear, I doubt many people have wished they had different grips. The wood ones can be easier to carry, however, it can also be easier to get a better quick grip on the rubber ones in a panic situation.

For just shooting, there is a reason many people call those "display grips".

#24 ·
The trail boss is a 3" barrel, any .44 that short isn't a plinking gun.

I know it's not better. I just want to know why he thinks it is
Hand assembled, tuned action, tuned trigger, a cyl made to handle a hotter load. Have you ever owned anything that came out of S&W performance center, or even shot something by them? They are a far nicer firearm than the run of the mill mass produced stuff from smith. They are a handcrafted gun and very reasonable in price.

#41 · (Edited)
I'm a big fan of short barreled big bore handguns. Mostly because I'm a fan of the .44 and .45ACP ballistics.
I have carried a 3" 629 a lot and shot the shit out of them even more. I had one that I got from Hortons as a special run that after a thousand rounds the barrel started unscrewing (so much for pinned barrels).
That being said let me tell you what I know about 3" and 2 1/2" 44 mags. First of all, technically a 3" anything would be considered a snubnose. You can call them snubnose but they are big fucking guns. On your hip or in your hand, you know they are there. As big as they are, mine disappears in a k frame IWB holster. Good gun leather makes all the difference.
Second, being the mass is there, non ported ones are a pleasure to shoot. Really alot more hype than reality. I admit I reload to 1000 fps but that is still above 44 special levels.
Third, on the fluted cylinder, I have heard that the unfluted cylinders are heavier to tame recoil, stronger because of added metal. I got it because it looks cool.

If you want to ccw a big bore revolver and want to dream I have shot a five shot, 3" 44 special built on a S&W K-frame that was pretty cool. It was a mix of stainless and blue parts so it looked special to boot.

As a plinker the 5'2" chickee poo is handling it just fine.

Home Defense duty loaded with glaser safety slugs, speedloaders loaded with Black Talons replaces that tacky little pamplet in the bottom drawer.

Guns make great photo subjects

#44 · (Edited)
#45 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.