Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

school me on old trail bikes

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jeeperbrian 
#1 ·
i picked up a 1986 honda tlr200 this afternoon, for the fair price of free. ive got it torn apart right now and im workin on cleanin some stuff up and getting it running. what should i be looking out for on this thing? and are there any solid mods i can make? i dont want anything crazy, just something solid to tool around the trails on. i know the rear suspension is really soft, is there anything i can do for that? any info as good

#2 ·
The TLR is more of a TRIALS bike than a trail bike. The rear suspension can be firmed up by adjusting the preload on the rear springs - look at the top of the spring for a sleeve that has "stair-steps" in it - you turn that sleeve to a different "step" to change preload.

You want to know mods, I believe you can use old XR200 parts of the same era. I would recommend a UNI air filter (and make the airbox opening below your seat as big as you dare), a plug check to see how your mixture is (might go with bigger jetting, especially with airbox mods). Don't mess with the exhaust - the TLR exhaust is hard to come by in working order - you mess it up and you might be hosed.

You got yourself a mighty fun playbike there. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.