Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

New to me Jeep..... and build thread

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jbsjunk 
#1 · (Edited)
So I pick up a 99 Tj with 78,000 miles on. Its the Sahara package, 4.0l 5 speed. Got a pretty good deal. I was going to buy a brand new one and that is why I sold my last Tj, well the fact it had a ton of miles and a guy I know offered me a ton of cash for it = sold.... So I have been going back and forth on what to get next and this jeep came up. So I pulled the trigger. My 4 year old loves this thing all ready had him out on the trails.....Now have to start planning for the lift, tires, winch, bumpers, and so on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I found out after I got it home cause I did not look at it super close (snowing and cold plus a four year old jacking around in the snow, plus trying to look at jeep = epic failure to spot any and all problems) The radator leaks a little, the alternator went out on the drive home, and I did not notice the rear axle seal leaking, sounds like it may have an outer axle bearing out on that side as well. Oh well still love the jeep, no rust (except the hindges) Should be a good unit once I get the little things taken care of it......Just happy to have a jeep again....That was a long year with out one.....Almost did not make it.....HAHAHA

#4 ·
The radator leaks a little, the alternator went out on the drive home, and I did not notice the rear axle seal leaking, sounds like it may have an outer axle bearing out on that side as well. Oh well still love the jeep, no rust (except the hindges) Should be a good unit once I get the little things taken care of it.
So a axle swap and a supercharger gotcha.:finger: I'm Just kidding, very nice ride.

#10 ·
I am am not sure about the front, I took a picture of how to tell the dana series axles from on line, and went home and looked and the pan shape and bolt holes match up to a dana 44, Then I looked on line and is shows that a 44 was an option for that year as well. I will take a picture of the rear and front later and post them and you can let me know what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.