Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Car hauling trailer stolen downriver

11K views 88 replies 32 participants last post by  brewmenn 
#1 ·
My car hauling trailer was stolen from a storage lot down river over the weekend.

I'm sure I have some pictures of it somewhere but can't find them right now. I'll keep looking.

It was pretty much your standard trailer, faded black paint, wood deck with nothing to hold the boards on, brakes on one axle but the wire was broken and tied to the top rails. Flat right rear tire. Rusty framework.

They crashed the gate, broke off 2 locks on the hitch, dumper the car that was on it in the driveway and left.

#6 ·
Cars have VIN's, the trailer did not.

#9 ·
I haven't found a picture yet. If anyone happens to have a picture with it in it please post it.

#13 ·
In michigan if you get caught with a stolen vehicle isn't it grand theft auto, if you get caught with a stolen trailer it's probably only theft by taking.

When my trailer was stolen the cop told me they just assume the trailer belongs to the person and don't bother to check even if they pull the person over. Granted this is Georgia not michigan

#14 ·
In michigan if you get caught with a stolen vehicle isn't it grand theft auto, if you get caught with a stolen trailer it's probably only theft by taking.

When my trailer was stolen the cop told me they just assume the trailer belongs to the person and don't bother to check even if they pull the person over. Granted this is Georgia not michigan
Yes, that's why no one steals cars in Michigan.

I just find it really odd that someone would go though all that trouble for (going by Bruce's description) a 'well used' trailer. Car must not have been worth attracting attention, but I know someone who's rotted 4 door Buick with only one operational door was stolen.

Oh, and inB4AJHallcomment

#18 ·
Where was it stolen from (city) besides downriver. I'll look around I cover a lot of ground everyday. If I know more about where it was taken ill let the guys at work know that are in that area. Garbage men see a lot on a daily route and might see it somewhere.

#32 ·
BTW the storage place was:

Public Storage
20080 Allen Road
Trenton, MI 48183

http://www.publicstorage.com/michigan/self-storage-trenton-mi/48183-self-storage/1402

Their security is a joke. It took them at least 6 hours from the time they opened until they figured out it was my trailer that was missing and tried to call me. IN the mean time rather than pushing the car aside until I could be notified and come deal with the they had the police tow it to an impound lot. After a day of calling and leaving messages I still have not managed to talk to anyone from the Brownstown township police to find out what I need to do.

#33 ·
If they left the car, that tells me they planned to keep the trailer not scrap it. Only honest people need a title to scrap a car. There was a guy on the next block down from me who got busted cutting cars up for scrap/parting out. He would take cars that were abandoned on the freeway. He got caught because he hauled home his neighbor's sister's car and started cutting it up... too bad the neighbor recognized the car.... :teehee:

#40 ·
Bruce, this is the trailer in question, right? I remember repairing the rear sections while we worked on the club trailer. If its the wrong one, let me know and I'll delete these. Those side rails are someone different than many trailers, might help with ID....

Attachments

#42 ·
That's the one, thanks.

#43 ·
I took an old pop-up and made a utility trailer. I went to scale and got a weight slip and to SOS.
Got a plate based on weight. Any trailer in that weight range the plate could be placed on and no way to "prove" it wasn't the original trailer. I can keep making trailers all my life and plate it.Of course can only have plate on one. But I never will have to go in and re buy. But I will have to eventually get/make a bigger trailer and then would need to get a new plate.
So SOS, permanent trailer plates, are losing State money.

#49 ·
They did use it.

I finally got a reply from the police.

My trailer was used to steal another car from the lot. Police described it as a "supped up hot rod". So they dumped my car off the trailer so that they could load another car on it. The police didn't realize the car was mine and thought it was used to break in, that's why it was impounded.

#51 ·
Our enclosed snowmobile trailer was stolen out of my parents drive way in Davison one fall. It popped up in downtown flint on some neighborhood side street dropped on its tongue, cops called us a few days later cause someone called that it was sitting in front of their house. So keep your hopes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.