Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Charge Rent Or Not

6K views 80 replies 47 participants last post by  itselliott 
#1 ·
So my daughter graduated from High School this summer.

She is going to college now doing 15 credit hours driving back and forth 22 miles

She has a job working at an assisted living center making 210 per week.

She just got a second job working Tuesday and Thursday mornings four hours a morning so she should gross another 70 per week.

When I was 18 my mother started charging me rent, when I was 18 years old.

Should I let her live here for free while she is in college, or should I charge her a little for rent, 50 bucks or so.

What do you think.

#4 ·
I wouldnt charge rent since shes going to school and working. But maybe tell her as long as shes living tbere she pays 50 a week and you save will save it so she has money when she moves out or for a down payment on a new car or house when the time comes. Just a idea.

#5 ·
Sounds like she is working her butt of to make a little bit of money while going to school full time. I think not charging her rent would be alright as long as she continues what she is doing.
Now if she quits school and her jobs then yeah, charge her rent or boot her out.

I do like what MonkeyBiz's parents did for him too.

#16 ·
How did it take 12 replies for this question, gl4x4is slacking. And i say no rent, she is working her ass off, if you don't need the money i don't see why, unless she will get it when she moves out.

#62 ·
I like this the best.

I don't have children so I don't have much to say other than; she goes to school full time, and works two jobs. Why charge her rent? She is trying to make something of herself and is putting her time in. If she was working one part time job then hell yes, charge her ass.

#24 ·
I go to school full time, 12 credits a semester, and I work 40 hours a week. My dad paid rent when he was 17. As long as I'm in school, I do not have to pay rent. Dads rule. If I didn't go to school, he would make me pay rent and I would be okay with that.

It sounds like your daughter is on the right track. I wouldn't charge her rent. Sounds like a busy girl, and paying rent would be one more thing she would need to worry about.

LAY SOME PIPE

#26 ·
I never paid rent....probably because i moved out about a week after high school graduation. I never went back. My other siblings can't say the same :sonicjay: and my patents are currently dealing with the results of supporting a unresponsible entitlement attituded young adult and his girlfriend who also lives under my parents roof.

#27 ·
I didn't live at home while in school but my rent was payed. I worked to pay everything but rent. I took 18-25 credit hours and worked as much as possible ( farm hand hours varied by time of year sometimes over 50). I say don't charge rent let her focus on the things that matter like her jobs and school. Unless of course you pay for everything and school is payed for. If that's the case 200 a week sounds fair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.