Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2500 Ram

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Monkeyevil 
#1 ·
I am debating getting a 1500 or a 2500 ram with the 5.9L motor.

Anyone have them? Pro's Con's? What kind of millage do you get with them empty and towing? I'm looking on the 96-99 year range

#2 ·
I owned a 2000 ram 2500 with the 5.9 (4x4, ext cab, long bed, with camper special package, 4.10 gears).

I really liked that truck overall as my daily driver, but it wasn't the best on gas, and it was a small block, so you have small block power for towing.

I do mainly city driving (my Ford fusion gets 17-18 mpg, for comparison), I got 10mpg city/12-13 hwy, 8-10 towing with the blue truck.

today, I have a 96 ram, also ext cab, long bed 4x4. This one is a V10 with 3.55 gears, gets the same mileage as the V8 did for me. 10-12 empty (I never drive it on the freeway empty), ~9-10mpg towing.

Comparing the two:

My 2000 drove much tighter, probably mainly due to that I got new, and the 96 has 135k miles. But the camper special pacakge has sway bars and I believe 1 ton springs, so with 80psi in the michelins, that truck handled very well, and actually not THAT bad of a ride. my 96 doesn't have the rear sway bar and loads down noticibly faster with weight on it. (I once had 3500lbs in the bed of the 2000, and the back end was just fianlly level with the front, with 2000lbs plus my cap in the 1996, the rear sits below the front

Empty, I think the 2000 was just as fast, or even faster than V10 truck, the V10 is much heavier and just isn't a rocket-ship motor.

Monkeyevil has a 2500/5.9 but its a 5 speed and he seems to like it.

Poopypaws should be able to give you the skinny on the 1500s..

#5 ·
Yeah, and used prices in that range are usually like $5000+ cost adder for the cummins. That plus the fact that Diesel is ~10% more than gas at the pump, you are never making up the price difference with fuel economy.

For what you do, Beef, I think the V8s will be just fine.

I know from a braking/stability/comfort standpoint, I could go 80mph and not even feel the trailer with that setup. Very comfortable, drove well.

#8 ·
I've got a '97 1500 Ram with a 5.9L, 4x4, 3.55 gears and towing shift kit. I get about 14 mpg around town if I drive nice. Highway I can get about 17 if I keep the cruise on at 65.

Towing my 2400 lb trailer and my roughly 3500 lb Ranger it does pretty good, but only gets about 8-9 mpg out on the highway. I'm from PA and it'll pull that load through the mountains pretty good (I can hold 65, without beating it too much). All around it serves me very well.

#9 ·
I have a 95 1500 with the Magnum 5.9 look in the radiator with skepticism, mine had a cracked head and a warped head when I bought it but the indications were not significant until after I couldn't figure out where all my oil was going, a grand later I had 2 fresh heads installed a new radiator and hoses, love the truck handles good and I beat the living shit out of it until it fell on a tree in January.

My biggest problem with the Magnum V8 was finding a guy that would rebuild a head any not just magnum it and decided from there, actually, it was imposable, the magnum V8 is infamous for cracking heads, and mine still has the issue that occasionally the engine will heat up around 260 degrease and I have to shut it off for 5-10 minutes then start it back up and it will cool down to around 200, this isn't a thermostat problem since its on its third new one, I think the water pump is getting down to its last legs.

#10 ·
I have a 94 2500 8,800 GVWR, 5.9, NV4500, with 4.10 gears.

I personally have no problems with it towing. It will pull 75 in 5th as long as it's not a super steep incline on the highway, then I down shift into 4th and can accelerate just fine.

I would not be happy with a 1500, a 6,000 GVWR 2500, or anything with an automatic. 3.55 gears with my setup was bearable, but not ideal for the speed in which I tow.

Depending on headwind and speed I get from 9-12.5 while towing my Jeep. Unloaded in the city I get from 8-12 depending on how retarded I drive. Unloaded on the highway I have seen 15 max.

I really like my truck and Dodges in general. I hate the fact that they rust so bad, and the steering leaves something to be desired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.