Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Pit Trash Shootout- Bundy Hill this Sunday

9K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  unclebeaner 
#1 ·
The 2016 Pit Trash Shootout is this Sunday, August 21st at Bundy Hill.

See less See more
#3 ·
:(. Bummer. Usually the excuses that flow from this site are that nobody wants to risk breaking something before the Loonie run. I know that's not you because you like to compete and are familiar with the park.
This has been a great event to both participate and spectate. It's basically a bump and hustle type course with fairly good spectator views (much better viewing than the course that was run in June) that for the last couple years has been in what's called the Coliseum.

#13 ·
This was the only picture of the course ahead of time. Not sure why it's so difficult to post pictures or a map/layout of the course before race day. You would think it would peak interest.

#22 ·
A couple things of note from attending this race and others this summer:

1.Buggy's need to have their own class

2.Tire sizes can be whatever the event organizer wants them to be but you should not be allowed to bump up or down to a different class without actually changing tires that fit that class.

I like the idea of 3 classes
1) 36" and down (this basically caters to stock and some modified
2) 37" up
3)Buggy/truggy class (run whatever tire size you want)

3.Rules about safety tape/cones and the penalties or lack of should be clear before the event starts.

- this race there was tape up around the course to give a sense of direction of where to go on the course. If someone hit the tape and tore it down there was no penalty (which I'm for as long as you're not cutting the course short - if you get sideways and catch the tape with a wheel, no big deal) But everyone should know ahead of time that there will be no penalties if you hit the tape or a course marker. :thumb: I prefer the less strict rules

#52 ·
The problem with more classes is the lack of contestants to fill them.

Im surprised there was not a better turnout like RBOR had at Bundy.

I agree about the penalties, I like less but had I known beforehand I could have shaved a couple seconds off.

Prior years I would agree, penalties took me out of comps in years past. But this year, Ive run slower, calmer in all the rbor races and I'm being competitive. Believe I'm 3rd overall and not that far back. But look at the 1&2 rigs compared to mine. What Im easily a third of the horsepower, a 1/4 of the overall value in comparison. But because I'm not taking penalties and staying easy and smooth, I'm competitive. Anybody can run a course balls out and hit every marker and cone getting a fast time if the penalties don't count against ya.

I like the tighter courses with consequences. You actually have to drive fast and be careful.

#24 ·
3 classes aren't that many. I would've run if I didn't have to compete against buggies. I've competed against them before and beat some, but to beat a whole field of buggies is pretty hard unless you trash your rig doing so.
I competed in the 2012 Pit Trash and won the 40" class (when it was up by Warn Valley) and the following year finished 4th? (in the Coliseum)
But when an Ultra 4 runs 35's and smokes the stock class, changes to 37's to smoke the mid class and then runs 40's and is actually competitive but still wins against full bodied rigs. (And having the advantage of running the course 2 times before the last race).

They could always have a better turnout if they promote it better. It wasn't even posted on Great Lakes this year. And most of the Great Lakes group don't show up anyway due to Loonie or some other reason. A lot of the competitors are Bundy regulars many of which come from Southern Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.
And even the post on Facebook didn't due anything to entice people since people were asking for pictures or a layout of the course and nothing was posted.
I brought a helmet just in case I changed my mind but racing against a bunch of buggies wasn't worth it.

This was also the case the first year of the Shootout when the entry was $250?? I brought a helmet, the entry fee and a co-pilot, but the way the course was set up then was that every full bodied rig dented a hood, cowl and windshield frame on a certain section of the course. Just wasn't worth it at that time.

#25 ·
I agree with all of that . I raced this year and wasn't real excited to find all the race buggies moved up to the larger tire class but in your proposed rules my blazer would most likely be in with race buggies anyway and I would consider mine more a trail rig than full racing buggy. My only shot at beating them is they go so fast that they break or DQ on course rules

#30 ·
This doesnt help me at all but why ORI in with multiple and bypass?

They are less then a tuned coilover in my opinion.

Fancy airshock is what they are with some extra bells and whistles

And around here that 3rd class is non existent for the most part so not enough numbers for that class.

#27 ·
JMO, so take it for what it's worth......

for the last several years I've been wanting to compete with my truggy (the yellow/black s10) and finally did. the way I see it, it's run what you brung. I finished mid pack most of the time and was probably held back more due to my driving style than the capabilities of the rig. it had a really nice parts list, but I tend to be more of a rockcrawler, than a rock racer/bouncer.

fast forward to owning a buggy. I now am very lucky and appreciative to own a high end buggy that is very capable. I know now I positively need to change my driving style in order to compete. I have and now tend to finish towards the upper end of the pack.

so what I'm trying to say is, most of these races are put together the best they can be so we should be thankful we can do something like this and do it for quite cheap.

I'm done for now :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.